Radio & Computer compatibility question

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by KI6KIS, Nov 5, 2020.

ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: l-BCInc
  1. KI6KIS

KI6KIS Ham Member QRZ Page

Just a quick question I have a Kenwood ts-2000x that I am buying a mini computer for What's the best operating system for this. I was thinking windows 7 does it work well with this radio? Thanks Rod

2. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

It will depend much on just what you want to do, and what software you want. The MOST software WILL be for Windows; unfortunately (?) LINUX doesn't have versions of all software.
    Now, as far as a computer, the HARDWARE will be as important as the software. Most "newer" desktops, and (almost) ALL laptops will only have USB ports, while some (desktops mostly) will still have a true RS-232c Serial port. One problem with a computer with USB only is thou will need a 'USB >Serial (RS232) converter cable, which can be frustrating, finding proper configurations and compatible chip sets with drivers that will work with everything. SOME converters may work with some software, but not others, etc.
    Windows 7 should be fine with almost ALL software, as well as Windows XP. Many have problems with Windows 10, but that isn't necessarily insurmountable. Just take your time, make a list of what software you will be using (or want to use) and try to buy with a return policy if something (such as a USB>Serial converter) doesn't work.

3. K6RUV

K6RUV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I was using Windows 7 but switched to Windows 10 earlier this year when I purchased a new computer. I didn't have any problem with the switch over except the audio and that was a simple fix. I run my logging program, SDR Console and Kenwoods ARCP rig control concurrently and interactively with a port splitter.