ad: chuckmartin

Radio Clubs, The Good, Bad, and Ugly

Discussion in 'Videos and Podcasts' started by K0BJJ, Nov 9, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. K0BJJ

K0BJJ Ham Member QRZ Page

KE7DRT likes this.
  2. KE0GXN

KE0GXN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

When is the Ham Radio YouTube Channels, The Good, Bad and the Ugly video going to come out?

PY2NEA, K3XR, K0UO and 1 other person like this.
  3. K0BJJ

Probably after you go SK, but I'm sure someone might entertain your wishes. I won't but someone might.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2022
  4. KE0GXN

KE0GXN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I that case, hopefully you won’t take offense if I don’t “smash your like button”.

PY2NEA likes this.
  5. K0BJJ

I would have been offended if you did. considering every time, I post something on here you have nothing positive or constructive to say. For you to like my video would be an insult from you.

KE0GXN likes this.
  6. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, I guess it really does depend on the who, what & where of ham radio clubs.

I have been a member of the Radio Club of Tacoma (W7DK.org) for thirty-five years! In that time I've seen the club grow and change sometimes it's wasn't open to newbies or maybe they didn't do what I wanted to do but I persevered; stuck with the club on the good and the not-so-good times. Overall it has been a good experience and the club now is a very welcoming place and we do all kinds of stuff that is radio-related.

Field day is one biggie, so is the annual Washington State QSO party AKA "The Salmon Run" that is sponsored by the Western Washington DX Club. We have open house every Saturday (We own our clubhouse), we have mini-swap meets on the last Saturday of the month complete with lunch. Meeting twice a month either in person or on "Zoom". We also do a monthly activity day.

So, yeah, I guess I was fortunate to find a club that I liked almost immediately. But... It took a while for me to get used to the club and vice versa. It wasn't a quick thing, but like most good things I had to work at the relationship as did the club.

So YMMV. Clubs, like most other things can be good or bad, it's just the members who are ugly! :rolleyes::p

( That was a joke! Note the emoticons!)

KD2KYN likes this.
  7. K0BJJ

well said. Yeah there are a lot of details that I left out with my personal experience, and that was intentional. I didn't make the video to put people on blast. I wanted to put a video out that made people think about whether or not they wanted to be in a club and things to think about. I'm glad your experience was a mostly good one. I eventually will be back with a club now if its the one I was with initially or not is unknown at this point.

8. W0JKT

W0JKT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes they seem to be a great club good informative website etc. I have only been a member for about 2 years after being off the air for 40 years. It has been a while but have been on the Zoom meeting and the 10m Sunday small group. At the SeaPac convention I was wearing the club's name tag and two members introduced themselves when they saw the member pin.

Hope next Summer to visit the club shack on a Saturday and visit Vashon Island where I operate a remote.

9. K0BJJ

I'm glad to see there are many positive experiences with clubs and my experience seems to be a one off. I know with the KT0ADS Things tend to be better than with my local club. At least for the moment.