ad: chuckmartin

Radio Amateurs To See Reallocation Of Portions Of Microwave Band

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W1YW, Aug 11, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KC0KEK

KC0KEK Ham Member QRZ Page

I've been in cellular for 22 years. The only time amateur radio comes up at conferences is when some attendees are hams, and we're discussing the hobby over lunch or beers. I've never heard amateur allocations come up during roundtables, keynotes, etc. We're so small that we don't even register on the mobile operators' radar.

W1YW likes this.
  2. K9GLS

K9GLS Guest

You mean there is more than "short time no comment" on my Baofeng UV-5R? I thought I was at the pinnacle. Guess I need to watch more low information videos. DISCLAIMER for the QRZ crowd...this was typed in my special sarcasm font that isn't installed on some devices and isn't easily recognized, please make a note of it. Carry on.

3. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

Errrr... Different levels.

Im glad you had a good time with the other field guys.

But y'all just take whatever is handed out at the telco level.

We were talking about the national authorities (NTIA in US) and international negotiations (WRC).

Also, the land grab for frequencies, called 5G, intrudes on everything. Something that wouldn't be discussed at telco level.

4. KC0KEK

Not sure what you mean by "field guys." The attendees and speakers at these conferences run the gamut from engineers to CTOs to Michael O'Rielly.

Here's an example from the 2019 5G Americas analyst forum:

Spectrum & Regulatory Considerations LTE to 5G
    Licensed spectrum fueled the smartphone revolution. For 5G to be successful, today’s licensed spectrum networks will require using a combination of low, mid and high bands.
    This discussion will cover the status of U.S. and international harmonization and regulatory considerations for 5G bands, the technology that will enable such a variation of spectrum band assets, and the requirements, auctions and plans for licensed 5G spectrum.
    • How will bands in 3 GHz to 100 GHz, and eventually higher, will supplement network capacity as technology improves?
    • How will harnessing spectrum never used for cellular will be enabled with Massive MIMO and beamforming above 6 GHz?
    • What are the coverage and efficiency impacts of using higher mmWave frequencies with larger channel widths versus low and mid-bands?
    • How important will dynamic spectrum sharing be for 5G deployments?
    • How are carrier aggregation and dual connectivity helping to resolve the tremendous requirement for capacity in future 5G networks?

5. K6CLS

good people I'm sure. But I doubt if they were involved in WRC or NTIA. Please reread what I wrote, slowly

6. KC0KEK

No need. Again, many speakers and attendees at conferences are active and influential in the ITU, NTIA and other key organizations, such as being members of WRC advisory committees (e.g., https://www.fcc.gov/wrc-19-advisory-committee-membership-list).

Often the event organizers themselves are trade associations that work with those organizations, such as https://www.5gamericas.org/5g-americas-urges-ntia-to-move-quickly-on-mid-band-spectrum-for-commercial-wireless-use-2 In fact, 5G Americas has been working with regulators on spectrum issues such as global harmonization since they were 3G Americas.

7. G3SEA

G3SEA Ham Member QRZ Page

There are a few Microwave Ovens out there starting to feel nervous ! :cool:
    G3SEA/KH6

8. WE4B

WE4B Ham Member QRZ Page

W0PV likes this.
  9. W1LWT

W1LWT Ham Member QRZ Page

so much money can be made by any company any size even MFJ.If they made uhf radios for those frequencys not used......they make radios for single band operation for Hams in all levels who want to get a start of interest of Microwave band from 900.1.2,2.4,3.3,5 , 10 ,150 g and two hams can operate like the MFJ radios and bingo the interest will build..and more experimentle will happen....But if it doesnt happen then there is still no interest to use them... its that simple....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. K6CLS

Well they are doing a great job of muscling in and misappropriating amateur allocations.

What about trying to take over 47GHz which is a PRIMARY allocation for hams?

And then, harmonizing just means stealing it everywhere around the world.

You missed the grade school lesson abput reading comprehension.

11. W6RZ

W6RZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

K6CLS likes this.
  12. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Please explain why you are touting an outdated chart , and posing it as 'greedy'.

The mid-band issue has already been resolved: for at least the next several years, midband will concentrate on adding for continuity at 3450-3980 MHz. That means 3100-3450 will NOT be 'considered' under present circumstances. This is one of many examples of the falsity of your chart as being pertinent to spectrum needs and allocations in 2020/2021.

Look: If you wish to inveigh a 'point of view', at least provide FACTS. It is insulting to others to project incorrect materials and then force us to 'conclude' that greed drives the bus.

I presented the OP on QRZed as an INCENTIVE to think about USING 'low band' and 'mid-band' Part 97 spectrum more ASSIDUOUSLY , moving ahead, to justify the continued use of some, or all of that Part 97 spectrum.

Ideas on that are welcome here, at the ARRL, at the FCC, and a variety of other mindsets you presently pose as 'greedy'.

The GREED is mis-named. It's NEED.

Use it or lose it.

Chip W1YW

Last edited: Aug 20, 2020
  13. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't see that. Again, If YOU had read the early posts, you would be so informed that HAMS were an intergral part of the 180 + folks who convened to make realistic decisions on the mid-band spectrum auction. IMO they did a damn good job of protecting the Part 97 allocation at present.

But again, it's USE IT OR LOSE IT.

Chip W1YW

14. KC0KEK

Like it or not, amateur radio will always rank rock bottom when it comes to how regulators view the best and most lucrative use of spectrum. This is a fact worldwide. They're primarily interested in freeing up additional spectrum to meet demand from consumers -- who outnumber us by a wide margin, and always will -- and from businesses. Spectrum also is increasingly auctioned rather than simply awarded, so their other primary interest in wringing as much money as possible out of each Hertz.

15. W6RZ

W6RZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I was more concerned about the other entries. Reallocating the Aeronautical Navigation band at 960-1164 MHz (which includes ADSB) for cat videos seems a little aggressive to me.