ad: ProAudio-1

Radio amateur ingenuity - COVID-19 Physical Distance Alarm

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W0PV, Jul 16, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. W1ER

W1ER Ham Member QRZ Page

Hallelujah!!!

2. K2NCC

K2NCC Ham Member QRZ Page

WSPR mode gun....
    mynextairgun001.JPG

Now if I only had $4k to spare. lol

3. K2NCC

Because it's symbolic of what "side" you're on. The best thing that could happen is if the POTUS would set a good example.

W1YW and JF1IRQ like this.
  4. JF1IRQ

JF1IRQ Ham Member QRZ Page

POTUS = the President of the United States.

JF1IRQ

K2NCC likes this.
  5. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Please be mindful not to take this into "National Politics" - this is "Amateur Radio News" - not "Just Talking - Politics"

;)

Dave
    W7UUU

JF1IRQ likes this.
  6. K2NCC

Now if we only had someone like ewe ewe ewe running our country! All good things in moderation. :)

7. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

The bottom line is that biologically, wearing a mask makes good survival sense.

8. JF1IRQ

JF1IRQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I will be careful about that from now on.

JF1IRQ

W7UUU likes this.
  9. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Appropriate dietary choices to tailor one's flatulence is very effective - and funny - in establishing a perimeter.

W0IW likes this.
  10. AC0GT

AC0GT Ham Member QRZ Page

Reminds me of a joke I heard somewhere...
    Confucius say, he who fart in church sit in own pew.

WN1MB likes this.
  11. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

The days of Charlie Chan quoting Confucius are long gone. Along with the Kake Walk, Black Face, Minstrel Shows, and specious references to a non extant Protocols of Zion....

It's a funny joke but is still funny if you remove any ethnicity. OK? :)

Chip W1YW

Last edited: Jul 19, 2020
  12. NR9V

NR9V Ham Member QRZ Page

Masks: The new way to redirect 98% of air, vapor, and small droplets sideways and up and down, instead of to the front.
    It's kind of like putting a big groundplane in front of a beam antenna. Makes it work even better for local/NVIS propagation.

mask-smoke-x2.jpg

Disclaimer: Masks are effective in many situations and I do not encourage anyone to not wear one.

Observations on this distance alarm:
    1. It appears to only detect distance in one direction. What about behind and to the sides of the wearer? Used in combination with a mask this might potentially cancel out much of the benefit, since masks increase sideways air flow but the distance sensor only detects toward the front. It would be easy enough to adapt the sensors into a hat design that worked in all directions.
    2. How would it differentiate walls, poles, bushes, trees, and various inanimate objects from humans? Seems like it would going off anytime you got too close to anything. Perhaps infrared sensors could also be used to discriminate approaching objects based on surface temperature.

13. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Its like re-beaming away from the DX.

You didnt show the time lapse of the diffusion cloud. There is a big gap front forward.

Front forward is where other people are, for the most part.

And if you both wear masks, the diffusion is substantially less front forward at the other person's mouth and nose.

Viral infection is a numbers game. Not all viral packets get into a nice moist transport into cells. So the less you have getting there, the higher the chance of flushing them out or not getting any at all:)

The 'detector' is just a reminder to help stay out of the main beam.

Chip W1YW

14. AC0GT

AC0GT Ham Member QRZ Page

No, it's not funny if the "ethnicity" is removed. It's funny because it supposedly comes from some authority, because there was likely much lost in many translations over time, and because of the broken English and likelihood of mispronunciation opening up words to double meanings. It could be started with, "There's an old Gaelic saying..." but there's no authority figure there. It can be, "The Bishop of Canterbury once said..." but that loses the possibility of anything lost in translation. If the wise man from antiquity that is supposedly quoted is unknown to the listener then the aura of the saying being ancient wisdom is lost.

It doesn't have to be Confucius to be funny, but it does have to be some foreign wise person from long ago that the listener would know. I'd be willing to rephrase the joke should I repeat it but the alternate phrasing would need to replace Confucius with someone that held the same kind of "weight" as Confucius to be as funny.

JF1IRQ likes this.
  15. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I wish this was me being sensitive, but I am afraid its a big issue for our Asian (especially Chinese) friends. My Asian friends call this ' fortune cookie Confucius'. To them it's white people being stupid. Same category as 'Chinese Cherry' from the Funny Face drink packets....

Just giving you a heads up.

Chip W1YW