ad: k1jek

Radio amateur ingenuity - COVID-19 Physical Distance Alarm

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W0PV, Jul 16, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. JF1IRQ

JF1IRQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Yokosuka goes many times.
    I also visited the US Navy Yokosuka base and the JMSDF Yokosuka base.

Cruise of YOKOSUKA Naval Port is full of charm!

There are also some photos on my QRZ.COM page.
    I ate Obama Burger on Dobuita Street.

Japanese news understands the situation in the United States.

The mask protects you and others around you.
    Handmade masks are popular in Japan.
    If you do not wear a mask, you may not be able to enter depending on the shop.

JF1IRQ

2. AC0GT

AC0GT Ham Member QRZ Page

Other things that works are to piss in your pants, scream at the top of your lungs at nothing, or swing a broom handle wildly like some Jedi knight swings a light saber in a fight for his life.

I mean, so I've heard. From some crazy guy on the internet.

W1YW and AL7A like this.
  3. JF1IRQ

Why is wearing a mask a political issue in the US?

4. ANGELSHOMEOPATHY

ANGELSHOMEOPATHY QRZ Member

thanks for valuable info..........

5. AC0GT

Because in the USA during the 12 months before an election for the president of the USA everything becomes a political issue.

If you want to go into more detail on how or why mask wearing is talked about more than other issues of the day then that's something to be taken to a different thread. Perhaps on a different website.

JF1IRQ likes this.
  6. JF1IRQ

Hi AC0GT!

Thank you very much.

I understand the situation in the United States.
    Everyone, please do your best.

I love the United States.
    I support from Japan.

Corona virus withdrawal.

JF1IRQ

7. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Because we, as Americans, will defend our right to be stupid--to the death.

It's a fair question without an acceptable answer:) Most of the COVID spread in the US is happening in cities where air conditioning is a 24 hour a day necessity in the Spring thru Fall. This confined air space in people's homes and apartments is the vector for the spread.

Normally aerosol spread is not dominant but the combination of recirculated and unfiltered air, in close quarters, with no masks, is the ideal Petri dish for the contagion.

It will be public soon that the aerosol spread is the problem, and in that case masks will have to be worn INDOORS whenever a family member mingles with people outside the home.

We really are a bunch of educated dummies in the US. This would not happen in Japan.

Chip W1YW

JF1IRQ likes this.
  8. AC0GT

Then perhaps our Japanese friends are better informed than I since I do not understand the situation. As evidence on your education I see your English is far better than my Japanese. Perhaps your English is better than my English. :D

I wish the best to our friends in Japan as well.

JF1IRQ likes this.
  9. JF1IRQ

Hi W1YW !

The United States is a great country.
    You will be able to clear any difficulties.

My strength is small, but the Japanese people support it.
    Good luck US.

JF1IRQ

W0PV likes this.
  10. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

We forget (US) what great things we have accomplished and often have to re-invent our own wheels.

The systems for quarantine were created here in the US (decades ago) and had great success in prior epidemics of TB and polio, small pox and measles, typhoid, among others. Masks were a big part of those solutions.

Note for example, that until the late 1940's (with the availability of penicillin) tubercular patients were usually required to live in separate 'sanitariums'. Apart from communities, apart from their homes. This extraordinary measure allowed the country to move ahead.

Unfortunately we are heading towards half a million COVID deaths in the US by the late Fall.

Chip W1YW

Last edited: Jul 18, 2020
  11. JF1IRQ

Hi AC0GT !

I used to travel to America and be helped.
    I like the United States.

Let's do our best not to lose coronavirus.
    I want to go to America again.

さようなら (^-^)ゝ

JF1IRQ

W7UUU and W1YW like this.
  12. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Spot on Chip.

My much beloved aunt, Gladys Thomas was a TB patient at Glen Lake Sanitorium. Mother of three very accomplished sons including my same age cousin Robin ex-WAØQCM. After a lenghty quarantine she emerged with one less lung but lived a fabulously productive life well into her 80's, passed due to Alzheimers.

I am very active in my own healthcare, do not accept anybodies advice without backup. But the vacuum of historically gained public common-sense in the USA today is abhorrent.

Stay well all,

73, John, WØPV

W1YW likes this.
  13. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Here's a story on the 'aerosol spread'.

You will find major press on this being the dominant vector in TX and FL in coming days/weeks. The price we pay for high density apartment/condo living and closed-off AC--and no masks :-(

If a relative went out and I was living in these circumstances, I would wear a mask around them for at least a day....try not to share bath/toilet.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/scientists-covid-19-spread-particles-air/story?id=71665634

We would do well to learn the solutions from Japan, where high density living is the norm!

Last edited: Jul 18, 2020
    JF1IRQ likes this.
  14. AC0GT

All this talk of COVID-19 spreading made me wonder just how many people were dying from it. I found an interesting page on the CDC website.
    https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/excess_deaths.htm

The data from the CDC shows that the total deaths so far this year is below the expected rate for all causes. This is no doubt in part to fewer people dying from car accidents, industrial accidents, and other diseases that might spread if there were more people working, driving, and gathering in groups.

Some more interesting charts are in this article.
    https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/peteraldhous/covid-deaths-rising-texas-florida-california

The number of people catching the disease are going up but the people dying from it keeps going down. There's plenty that can explain this. It's possible that most that could die from the disease have already died. It's possible that treatments improved to the point that survival is nearly assured. It's possible that the disease mutated to be more contagious but less deadly. It's possible that with more testing we are seeing cases reported now that would not have been before.

I keep hearing that we can't return to normal until there is a vaccine to get herd immunity. There's another way to get herd immunity, people catching the disease and recovering. Because of the recent protests which had a lot of young adults (well, in age anyway, many were acting like children) gather in large groups. This could explain the spike in cases but fewer deaths.

The CDC data shows that there are no excess deaths from COVID-19. Judging from the rise in cases seen with a continued dropping in deaths it's possible that there will not be any excess deaths in the USA once this is all over. I expect this will end when one of three things happens, we see a vaccine, we see enough people recover that there's no path for the disease to spike, or election day comes and there's no political gain from the politicians keeping this in the news.

AI3V and NR9V like this.
  15. W1ER

W1ER Ham Member QRZ Page

While on that subject, how about a very large spark gap transmitter with the AC line filter caps removed so that I can take out all the plasma TV's in the neighborhood spewing birdies every 5 kc on 20 meters!

W0IW likes this.