Radiaphone Band Scanner

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by KI7WQH, Oct 3, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KI7WQH

KI7WQH Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey guys,

I just picked up a Radiaphone Band Scanner, which is a 500kc panadapter, in the hopes of getting it to work with my ft-101. The ONLY information i've been able to find on this thing is that it was likely made available in 1962. I doubt very much I'll be able to just plug it into the IF out on my 101 with no issue and will likely face the same frequency compatibility issue with the heathkit panadapter.
    If anyone has any info on this I would appreciate it, thanks. s-l1600 (1).jpg s-l1600.jpg

2. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Several years ago, a friend of mine obtained a unit that had a different i.f. from the receiver on which he wanted to use the unit. I built a crystal controlled wide-band mixer to convert the i.f. frequency to the desired frequency.

That is a definite possibility that would allow you to use the unit.

Glen, K9STH

KI7WQH likes this.
  3. KI7WQH

That's good to know, I might have to learn how to make one of those.

4. WA6KNW

WA6KNW Ham Member QRZ Page

The IF output of the FT-101 1s 3,180 KHz and the input frequency to the Band Scanner is 500 KHz.
    So you will need a mixer circuit with a local oscillator that will convert the 3,180 KHz IF to 500 KHz.

RICH WA6KNW

KI7WQH likes this.
  5. KI7WQH

I’m not sure if 500 kHz is the IF for this unit or the bandwidth, I found something saying that the March 1962 issue of QST had more info but I can’t find a copy online anywhere to check.

6. WA2CWA

WA2CWA Ham Member QRZ Page

Page 52. You can read it online if you're an ARRL member.

KI7WQH likes this.
  7. K9STH

It has been several years since I made the mixer. If I remember correctly, I used a 6U8 or 6EA8. The triode section was the crystal oscillator and the pentode section as the mixer itself. Without any tuned circuits, this circuit was definitely wide band.

Glen, K9STH

KI7WQH likes this.
  8. KI7WQH

I'm not a member ATM, a friend of mine has a hard copy though and is sending it to me. If it has any relevant info I'll scan it in and add it to this thread.

I hooked the unit up last night and fiddled around with it. I was able to get a reading on extremely strong signals when I had "mode 1" selected, however the signals didn't move around when I tuned as I expected them to. The signals also seemed to be doubled up, like an echo of the profile would appear on the tube display down the band.

This was without doing any recapping or switch cleaning whatsoever. I'll update this thread when i know more - though I doubt many of these exist or will be put back into service.

9. WA2CWA

WA2CWA Ham Member QRZ Page

FYI - All ARRL QST magazines are still covered by Copyright. You need to get the ARRL's permission before you can copy, post, and distribute the article.
    See first paragraph: http://www.arrl.org/copyright

10. K9STH

Copying a single article for reference purposes, information, etc., is allowed under the "fair use" provisions of the Berne Convention and the Copyright Law. Copying the entire magazine, or even a significant portion of the magazine, is definitely a violation of the Copyright Law of the United States as well as the Berne Convention.

Being that I hold over one-thousand-copyrighted articles, newspaper columns, etc., as well as many thousands of photographs (photographs are automatically copyrighted when you take them), I try to keep up with the Copyright Law.

Glen, K9STH

KF5FEI likes this.