Radial-less HF vertical

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by KB1CKT, Oct 18, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KK4OBI

KK4OBI Ham Member QRZ Page

The 17’ telescoping whips that MFJ sells are what I have used in our travels the past
    few years.
    https://www.mfjenterprises.com/Product.php?productid=MFJ-1979

Your challenge is figuring out a mounting.

Because I can not get them up more than 10-15 feet I almost always use them in an “L” form so it has a vertical-like radiation pattern. On 20 meters this gets out better than dipole that low. One hitch is that I have to add wire to lengthen them to tune around 14.2 MHz,

2. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

I use that 17' telescoping whip also.... and it does work well for me. Instead of a wire to lengthen it, I use a coil. (see my post above). On 20m, I have a mark on the antenna, and open it up to just that spot. That set up make a a great travel antenna. It's not perfect for a permanent station, but it is really nice when sett up in a remote location.

3. W8EJO

W8EJO Ham Member QRZ Page

4. N9ZA

N9ZA Ham Member QRZ Page

It sounds like a wolf river coils TIA would fit the bill nicely. It does have 3 radials, but the whole antenna can be set up and tuned in about 15 minutes. Tear down is about 5-7 minutes. I've made hundreds of contacts on mine and absolutely love it.

5. KB1CKT

KB1CKT Ham Member QRZ Page

Looks like a standard shortened vertical over a minimalist radial system (3 or so radials on the ground). With so few radials it probably matches coax quite well.

6. N1LOU

N1LOU Ham Member QRZ Page

I would try a ladder line fed doublet mounted vertically, center fed. No radials or RF ground required since it is a complete antenna. A mag loop also comes to mind.

AF7ON likes this.
  7. KF5NAJ

KF5NAJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I have used a Tarheel ground mounted several times for a temporary antenna, works good with less than 20 radials. Used a TuneMatic Lite antenna controller. Fast and easy to setup and tune

8. M0IVK

M0IVK Ham Member QRZ Page

I have to declare I'm biased, but the Pro Antennas I-Pro Traveller sounds ideal for your application. Truly portable, low to the ground but still performs well. May be more than you are looking to pay though.

NH7RO likes this.
  9. AF7ON

AF7ON Ham Member QRZ Page

Exactly what I use for portable operation - a 12- meter spider pole supporting a 7m vertical doublet. I guy halfway up, run the lower doublet leg along one guy and the ladder line down another. Works pretty well from ten to forty meters.

Mike
    AF7ON

NH7RO likes this.