Racism alive and well on 80m

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KC8VWM, Dec 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

It amazes me the amount of racism expressed toward "groups of individuals" and the discussions about them taking place on the 80m band.

I know, spin the dial right? .. I know a lot of "anything goes on 80m" but I thought we held ourselves to a much higher standard than this.

Besides sheer ignorance, what's wrong with these people exactly?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2014
  2. K5FH

K5FH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Ignorance is a lot of it. The remaining part is a combination of "because we can" and "because we can get away with it." Similar to the feeling a teenage kid gets when he thinks he's put one over on his parents.

A maturity level on par with the average high school sophomore could be a major factor, too.

3. K7MH

K7MH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Parents who are idiots certainly don't help.
    Archie Bunker Syndrome.

4. KM5FL

KM5FL Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a theory on that subject.. Children are a product of their parenting. The people you are talking about were probably brought up in a racist atmosphere.. Parents tell their children to act a certain way but they, themselves, act another way.. Guess which "way" the children will be when they grow up??

KM5FL

Last edited: Dec 6, 2014
  5. KA4DQJ

KA4DQJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, it's clear you don't agree with it, but remember that no society not free to speak its mind is truly free. Remember when the founders guaranteed Freedom of Speech as he very first Amendment to the draft of that document at the Convention? That guarantee doesn't protect people who say and write approved things; it exists for one purpose ---- to protect those who say disagreeable things. If we all agreed, why would such a right even be necessary?

The big worry is something called "legal precedent", known as "stare decisis" or "let the decision stand. The country might not be much worse off regarding civil rights should be eradicate those who speak less kindly of fellow Americans and their skin color. BUT! Once the precedent has been set and the enforcement has met muster with the various appellate courts, it sets the new legal standard that the government can squash any unpopular speech. If they can come for the "racists" today ---- they can come for you tomorrow on a different ideal.

As it is government has made headway into squelching not only what people say, but what they think. And the thoughts need only be proven to a civil "more likely than not" standard; i.e., hate crimes. If you assault someone it is a crime worthy of probation, but if you assault them because you don't like them for any one of government-enumerated reasons, the punishment is years imprisonment.

Ever hear the legal slogan Justice is Blind? Only if you are old enough. Courthouses were adorned with murals of Columbia wearing a blindfold and holding the scales of justice and a sword in her two hands. Punishment was indeed once based on the "hot stove concept"---- everyone who touch the hot stove was burned equally regardless of their reason for touching it. Justice was interested only in commission of the crime, not WHY the crime was done. Today, Columbia cannot pass sentence or add weights of fact into her scales until she lifts her blindfold to see who the accused and who the victim is. Who does what to who for what reason is paramount in determining the punishment, and in the case of hate crimes we're talking the difference between 6-months probation and 12-15 years in max.

In time a wayward glance toward a member of a "protected group" could become prima facie evidence of not thinking correctly. Today, of all the Ten Amendments which form the Bill of Rights, the government is only interested in investigating and prosecuting those where a protected group member is affected. The rest has fallen by the wayside. True too is the fact that individuals cannot violate the civil rights of another individual ---- only the government can. So a new law was made where the offender merely blocked the victim from access to their rights. Not that the states didn't already have statues covering such crimes, but because the Federal Justice Department wanted to get involved in cases where it pleased and needed a new law which allowed it, even though the Constitution only gives the central government a few powers with the instruction that if anything else comes up in the future, it is strictly states' business.

6. K7XRL

K7XRL Ham Member QRZ Page

One need only visit the "world star hip hop" website to see that racism is alive and well no matter what race is the target. Ever hear of the knockout game? Google it if you haven't.

All racism is despicable, not just the kind perpetrated by "rednecks".

7. KV3D

KV3D Ham Member QRZ Page

KA4DQJ and K7XRL are spot on. Everyone has a right to state their opinion no matter how dumb it might be.

8. N2EY

N2EY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I think it's pretty simple.

There was a time, not so long ago, when being a healthy white "christian" male of western-european descent carried a lot of privilege with it, in American culture. I mean stuff like getting a job, getting into a school, being able to buy a house, get a loan, get elected or appointed to political office, be on TV or in the movies, etc. Minorities, the disabled and women faced all sorts of restrictions healthy white "christian" males of western-european descent did not.

This did NOT mean HWCMs got free ride or didn't have to work hard! It just meant that the playing field wasn't level.

Over time, a lot has changed. Most of the old privilege is GONE. That bothers some folks....and some of them aren't keeping quiet about it.

That's what it comes down to, basically.

9. KQ9J

KQ9J Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Those kind of people have something seriously wrong with them. That kind of speech is not in keeping with the spirit of amateur radio. One big reason why I never venture onto 75 meter phone, because that seems to be their preferred playpen. Mentally deficient hate mongers hiding behind a microphone spewing their vile effluvium. People get away with it on commercial AM so don't expect ham radio to be any different.

These morons should still be playing on the 27 mhz band but that's a different topic.

10. W4AMP

W4AMP Ham Member QRZ Page

I thought politics was banned here? And the word "Redneck" is offensive as well. I would say the OP is just as bad as what he is complaining about.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.