ad: k1jek

RAC recommends Morse dropped, new exams.

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WV2J, Oct 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. WV2J

WV2J Ham Member QRZ Page

RAC Board recommends that examinations be revised and mandatory Morse testing dropped.

For example BASIC (no-code) license holders must be re-examined and pass at > 80% to get HF privileges.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

See Radio Amateurs of Canada News

VE7VIE/KD7IGX

2. N4WGN

N4WGN Ham Member QRZ Page

hmmm another one down.. are we next??? only time will tell

3. VE3NIX

VE3NIX Ham Member QRZ Page

"That's a big 10-4, good buddy."

Really sad to see the hobby in decline. What's next: a "no-exam" licence?

...Pete/VE3NIX [​IMG]

4. KD4AMG

KD4AMG Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG] ohhh boy here we go again...party A sez this...party B sez that party C sez something party A dont like ...party D agrees with party C...same old same old... how many pages with over 100 some odd posts nearly half saying the same thing but rearranged in some form or fashion... this forum will NOT decide the final decision, [​IMG] ( thank god )....keep the code so I can see all 26 letters of the alphabet ( even the w ) ( lol ) kd4amg [​IMG]

5. K8WVU

K8WVU Ham Member QRZ Page

How many of you code lovers ever use code? Not many.No one is saying You cant start using in the future if You want to [​IMG]

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Guess that old horse ain't dead yet... Looks like he just got back on his own 4 feet again....

Hope ya'll ain't counting on the USA following suit...

Keep the code!!!!!!!!

7. K5AHH

K5AHH Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (NJ1K @ Oct. 30 2003,21:13)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hope ya'll ain't counting on the USA following suit...

Keep the code!!!!!!!![/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    [​IMG]   Hey, up!  They better not get rid of it, especially now that I am actually taking the time to practice it.  Just got finished practicing the code with another fellow on 2 meters.  While I do not plan to use CW that much, it's actually quite fun once I get to practice it on the air.  For those doubters that have not tried it yet, set up a time with a fellow ham and practice sending/receiving CW.  You might just like it.  Whether or not they get rid of the code in the U.S.A., I will be happy with the fact I have learned it.  Fun!

8. WD8OQX

WD8OQX Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (NJ1K @ Oct. 30 2003,19:13)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Guess that old horse ain't dead yet... Looks like he just got back on his own 4 feet again....

Hope ya'll ain't counting on the USA following suit...

Keep the code!!!!!!!![/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Oh, it's dead - they just like to beat those bones to a fine powder.... [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. VE3WBZ

VE3WBZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I see again at the mention of no-code.   Then the reasons and the blame why this happened.   If code was so great, why did the real pioneer hams, work to develope AM, FM and SSB [​IMG]    They obviously wanted better things for the hobby.   They wanted to hear and now see whom they were talking to and hear their voice.

If more hams can get on HF, and enjoy the hobby , then this is great.   There is no threat to code, one needs but to spin the dial and listen and hear the code...still in use and being enjoyed.

73   Peter  VE3WBZ

10. VE3BEE

VE3BEE Ham Member QRZ Page

My operation is about 95 percent cw. But don't think a code test should be a restriction too operate on HF bands.

11. Guest

Guest Guest

I recently upgraded to general, yes thank you. Anyway enough of that. Is this all we're going to hear from now on? Really people, can't we find something better to argue about! CW is a mode of communication no more no less. Weather we use it or not is entirely up to each person, I know some old timers who have been hams longer than I have been alive (46yrs.) and a lot of them are saying get rid of it once and for all. I know some others who say keep it. It never ends, it makes for some really interesting radio club meetings let me tell you.
    All I'm trying to say is if you personally are going to use it, use it and don't try and push it down every one else's throat. As for me I said once I get through this code test thats it no more code for me, now I'm rethinking my decision, but if I do decide to use code its MY DECISION no one else's. Lets leave it at that.
    73's
    ki4cra Mark

12. K6UEY

K6UEY Ham Member QRZ Page

F. Y. I.
    73 = BEST REGARDS
    73's=BEST REGARDS'ES
    We used to call them NOVICE, because they lacked skill and experience !!
    [​IMG]

13. Guest

Guest Guest

It doesn't matter.. keep the code, or get rid of it. We will still have this thing we call a HOBBY.. get it.. A HOBBY!
    We are not pros... We are HOBBIESTS. I will still listen for the weak signals out there, and my computer will decifer(sp?) them. I've tried to pass the code test at least 4 times. I would love to be able to use the code, but something keeps me from understanding the gibberish. It could be that I'm deaf to the tones, or it could just be a mental thing.
    What ever.. it's still just a hobby so I'm not going to get bent out of shape about it.. No.. I think I'll just go out to the garage and work on my hot rod instead, and let all you old farts pop a vein over it [​IMG] [​IMG]

14. Guest

Guest Guest

Oh yea... 73, and 88

Richard W7MAX

15. KD7WHQ

KD7WHQ QRZ Member QRZ Page

Hobbiests, true enough, but...
    RACES and all it's downline hardly fit that description.
    Backup, and fill-in emergency communications, and comm from community centers, hospitals, and even some security in places. We can be places the public service agencies can't, as they would be spread too thin, and pass messages they can't, as they are either interservice, or personal.
    Find an ACS/ARES/RACES group in your area, and check it out on the air when they have a drill. A dual band rig is real handy. HF in addition is a plus, as they are on HF, 2m and 70cm out here. 2m local coordination plus some simplex EOC-EOC communications, 70cm, Medical, and other EOC-EOC comm. HF for out of area comm.

It's a hobby, until it comes down to the wire, and then the mode shifts.
    It isn't a hobby anymore, it's a service.

BTW, ACS etc have scheduled nets. Visitor checkins are more than welcome..

Almost forgot to return this to the thread [​IMG]

Morse operators would be needed in adverse operating conditions which many disasters might create.
    VHF/UHF is great for local comm, but HF is what gets out, and a number of scenarios make HF completely useless for voice.

Just the facts as I see 'em.. [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.