ad: w5yi

R390a restoration and videos from Chuck Rippel

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by SV2SBE, Nov 7, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. SV2SBE

SV2SBE Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello,
    I'm restoring a R-390a. It was found it in good condition, intact, with no modifications, from the army stock. The only problem is that it was veryyyyyy dirty. Dust and grease mix. Especially in the RF deck and in the gearbox. I will make a picture heavy thread with photos of the restoration. Every bumblebee cap and vitamin-q cap will be replaced, resistors will be checked and will try to make it as good as new.
    If i was in US i will send it to Chuck Rippel, but the problem is that i'm from Greece, and 80lbs package will not worth the shipping cost.
    So, i'm trying to make it on my own, i have all the equipment that i will need and the manuals, Y2K etc.
    I have read that Chuck had made in the past some videos about this type of receiver, but i cant find it on the web. Payment or free. Can anyone help me with this videos to find them please??
    Thanks
    George

2. K8CCA

K8CCA Ham Member QRZ Page

I remember reading about the videos years ago when I was thinking about getting one of these, but perhaps the CCA website can help you. I know they are out there, most likely on VHF. Good luck, looking forward to your pic's!

3. K1LKP

K1LKP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
  4. K1LKP

5. K1LKP

6. WB2GCR

WB2GCR Ham Member QRZ Page

Wishy-wash... :D

Dry, dry, dry, dry, dry, dry...very very dry.

Attached Files:

7. N3DT

N3DT Ham Member QRZ Page

The R390A.com mail list has a lot of guys that can help you with anything you like. There's even a Y2K version of the manual there. Free to join. They're a lot of work for an AM/CW receiver. The biggest bugaboo is the poor CW/SSB detector and limited filters. But everything is replaceable.

8. SV2SBE

SV2SBE Ham Member QRZ Page

the r390a.com is closed. i found the y2k manual from other sites, and the other manuals that i need. But i cant find the videos from Chuck. Any help for the videos???

9. KK6IYM

KK6IYM Ham Member QRZ Page

https://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=5

There are a number of people on this site that can help you with your project. My 390a had many problems--some quite complicated, but there is plenty of info in the manual and they are easy to work on--except the band switch. I had a lot of fun with mine--a Stewart Warner.

Norm