ad: chuckmartin

R-26/ARC-5

Discussion in 'QRZ Site Community Help Center' started by WILLIAMESTEP, Jan 10, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. WILLIAMESTEP

WILLIAMESTEP QRZ Member

Mayday fellow ham operators! My name is Willy, KN4ECM, I recently rescued this radio from an estate sale and it was supposedly a working receiver. However no one could tell me anything about the radio. It is pristine and the only mod I can tell is the dynamotor was removed and was replaced by a KEN-RAD 6V6 metal clad tube. There is an 8 pin socket in the back and a plug with 4 wires, 2 yellow, and a orange and black 18 gauge wire coming from this plug. I see no new wire inside the radio and am wondering if mods were completed. I have 4 other green radios, military, that I have put back in service and would love to hear this radio work again. Please help

2. W9WQA

W9WQA Ham Member QRZ Page

?, probably filament,b+,ground...
    trace inside to figure...

3. WILLIAMESTEP

WILLIAMESTEP QRZ Member

That is practically impossible due to the lack of color inside the set. I'm afraid to dig thru the set for damaging the unit. Thought the 6v6 tube where the dyna motor use to be might lead to voltage requirements and hook up. Thanks.

4. W9WQA

6v6 will lead you to filaments and b +,,,and ground...

5. W9WQA

or send it to me...

6. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Pictures would be a big help.

7. W1BR

W1BR Ham Member QRZ Page

Why a 6V6? The original audio tube was a 12A6. It sounds like that radio was hacked quite a bit if they added a second audio output tube where the dynamotor mounted. I'd bet they changed the original potted audio transformer with one that has a low impedance secondary. Photos of the bottom and top of the set would help.

8. WILLIAMESTEP

WILLIAMESTEP QRZ Member

Not giving up yet. all tubes, metal clad have been changed from 12sk to 6 sk. rear plug changed to a tube socket to accommodate a plug with the 4 wires. Have applied low dc voltage to unit and can read voltage at tubes, however, nothing happening. Appreciate all the help.