QYT why???

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K4ZAM, Jun 15, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
  1. K4ZAM

K4ZAM Ham Member QRZ Page

So maybe someone can explain to me the QYT KT-7900D. WTF would someone use 350Mhz for? I saw quad band I was thinking ohh wow a 6m 2m 1.25m 70cm radio for $100 awesome. i read the specs before buying it and 350-390mhz??? is that usable anywhere? sad part is i bought a 4 antenna switch off an ebay bid before realizing the thing wasnt doing 6m so $50 wasted.

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Mobile 2-way band in other parts of the world (probably including China).

3. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

The irony is great in this one....complaining about a $100 rig made in China not being what you want. Anyway, 350-390 is mostly used for fixed mobile, space and aviation communications in the US.

There are several US manufacturers who make great rigs.

W4IOA, K1FBI and WG7X like this.
  4. WF4W

WF4W XML Subscriber QRZ Page

cheapo radios and poor performance are going to drive a lot of newly licensed hams out of the hobby...

KK5JY and W5TTP like this.
  5. K4ZAM

how is it ironic questioning why they are selling a radio in the US with bands we are not allowed to use? I'm sorry i don't have an endless flow of money and question my purchases instead of buying blindly like you apparently are able to do.

KF0G and KK6NOH like this.
  6. K4ZAM

no i think people making smart ass remarks to new hams who post questions like some others do are what drives them out. qyt has actually been pretty good in my truck so far, allowing me to keep the alinco in my house, just surprised they would have a band on this one we cant use. several other guys i know were talking about buying one until i pointed out the 4th band was 350MHZ not 50

WU8Y likes this.
  7. WF4W

WF4W XML Subscriber QRZ Page

yeah, there's some of that too...

Based on experience, non-user friendly rigs - mostly chinese - are so difficult to use, people give up on trying to make them function.

I looked at that rig on Amazon after your post and it shows the frequencies upon which it can operate. Where did you buy it? calling it a "quad band" (although technically correct) is somewhat misleading if it came from an american based reseller

8. ND5Y

ND5Y Ham Member QRZ Page

What is so difficult about chinese radios? They are just as easy to use as a Yaecomwoodco.

WX7P and KK6NOH like this.
  9. KK6NOH

KK6NOH Ham Member QRZ Page

took me about 5-10 minutes to figure out my baofeng. The menu system reminded me a lot of early 2000's motorola talkabout menus.

WU8Y likes this.
  10. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Many of the radios made in China and sold on places like Ebay cover frequencies beyond the US ham bands and appear not to be made for exclusive use in the US as to performance that's another issue.