"Quiet" Henry Amp

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by KD0RUR, Jun 25, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KD0RUR

KD0RUR Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey everyone. I purchased a Henry 2K Classic Amp a few months ago and absolutely love it. It's integrated nicely with my TS-830 and has opened up a whole new level of enjoyment in the hobby for me.

I do have a question though, exactly how "loud" should it be? Almost all the reviews I've read say it's loud, but in all honesty I can barely hear it. If I put my hand to the side of the amp when it's on, I can feel a vibration so I know the blower is working but I have no idea how much air is supposed to be coming out of it or how loud it's supposed to be. Is there a test I can run or should I shoot and post some video?

Thanks,
    Kevin Whitcomb ~ KD0RUR

2. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Don't shoot.

I would measure the temperature. That's the important thing.

3. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Id suggest cleaning and lubricating the blower and then have a reference point.

Carl

4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The 2K series weren't very "loud." It's only a pair of 3-500Zs and the blower isn't all that big. They can make "rattling" noise if the cover isn't sitting completely flat, or if something's loose.

5. W1QJ

W1QJ Ham Member QRZ Page

If it is a pedestal model amp, which it should be, check to make sure the filter is clean.

6. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

This guy was called "Quiet Henry," but I think that was before amplifiers.

[​IMG]

7. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

That was implied in my post but thanx for mentioning it.

8. WA2AAR

WA2AAR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Kevin,
    I have a Henry 2KD Classic it is not very loud at all. But like Steve said to lube the blower at it lube points on the blower. I do mine here about every 3 to 4 years. Use some 10 weight motor oil.
    DO NOT use 3in1 if you want to keep the blower. I have a spare amp that I use for parts if I need it. Also WW Grainger sell a replacement blower for the amp. Good Luck.

9. AA7QQ

AA7QQ Ham Member QRZ Page

There is a special oil for fan motors, as said. If you have an HVAC supply house, they will have it. It also has a long flex tube that comes out to fit in weird places.

Ed

10. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

He said that eh?