Quiet AX-190 receiver

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by VE3SDB, Oct 28, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. VE3SDB

VE3SDB Ham Member QRZ Page

Cheers,
    Replaced all the caps and the 2sk19s
    Helped somewhat .
    - Meter barely moves ,
    New 2sc971 installed with mpf102's
    The Is188's are good .
    Seems to receive well on 80,40 meters , but is extremely quiet on 20 and 10 meters . even 11 meters .
    S meter doesnt show movement unless I key up on 10 meters eg .
    Weak receive .
    Anyone come across a quiet issues like this ?
    Thanks , 7 3's
    Craig
    VE3SDB

2. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The Allied / Radio Shack (when Tandy bought out Allied Radio they had the brand name, on the AX-190 and SX-190 changed from Allied to "Realistic") receivers do tend to be pretty deaf on the higher bands. There were a number of modifications that appeared in the various amateur radio magazines to "fix" this problem.

I have, on my computer, scanned copies of some of the better modifications as well as a scanned copy of the manual (also have an original "hard copy"). If you want a copy of the modifications and / or the manual, contact me at

k9sth (at) sbcglobal (dot) net

and, in my reply E-Mail, I will forward the information.

Years ago, I had an Allied SX-190 but traded it off quite a while back. Then, several years ago I obtained a basket case AX-190 with the Allied brand on it and a Radio Shack Realistic version in very good shape. However, the Realistic unit had a bad audio output board but the Allied version had a working audio output board. So, I swapped the bad board for the good board making the Realistic one fully operational. Then, someone wanted what was left of the Allied receiver, so I traded it off.

A matching transmitter was in the works to go along with the AX-190. That is why the VFO, BFO, and heterodyne oscillator connections are on the back of the receiver. However, Tandy decided to drop the transmitter so it never happened. The Tandy employee, who was in charge of the transmitter project, wanted to trade some items with me. He drove over from Fort Worth to the north side of Dallas (Richardson, Texas) to make the trade. When he saw my AX-190, he then told me about the transmitter and that the project had been dropped.

Glen, K9STH