Quickset Positioner

Discussion in 'Satellite and Space Communications' started by KG0EW, Oct 9, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. KG0EW

KG0EW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi everyone,
    I have Moog Quickset az/el positioner and controller that came out of a TV news van. The positioner is over 10 years old, but still works, and is spec'ed to handle a 90-lb load. The controller operates from 110 VAC, has front-panel pan and tile speed control adjustments and a joystick controller. There is also a remote joystick that plugs into the front panel (has about 1o-ft of cable). Everything is analog, but likely one could build a computer interface that connects to the remote controller jack.

I've not had much luck finding information on either of the units, other than very abbreviated descriptions on the Moog Quickset website:

Quickset Postioner: Part Number: 7-59206. 90 lb. capacity, 90 lb-ft. torque, 115VDC motors, 435° rotation, requires analog DC controller. Includes stow switches for ENG integration, no potentiometers. Pan speed 8°/sec, tilt speed 4.5°/sec.

Controller: Part Number: C90VS-DC115A. rack-width variable-speed pan-tilt controller, with remote; 120VAC in 115VDC out (to positioner).

Seems like this would be a good unit for satellite work; anybody familiar with these, or better yet, have manuals?
    Thanks,
    David KG0EW

2. K3RLD

K3RLD Ham Member QRZ Page

3. NG1H

NG1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Here's an idea:

1) Test the voltage at the control unit. Some of those TV camera control systems run 120VAC (or 115VDC in your case) to the control system switches.
    2) Don't worry about the variable speed. Find a moderate speed that works and set up a relay box to control movement. Make sure the relays are rated for your control voltage!
    3) Read up on adding encoders (AKA digital setting circles) to alt-az telescope mounts such as Dobsonians. You don't need high accuracy.
    4) Research alt-az mount control systems. You case is simplified due to only needing the control electronics to trip relays.

Assuming your digital control electronics have a computer interface you now have a system that can be automated.

KG0EW likes this.
  4. KG0EW

5. KG0EW

Thanks; good suggestions. I'm on the fence about keeping this unit; I'm working on a van conversion, and primarily want to focus on HF and possibly some VHF roving. Not sure I have the bandwidth to tackle satellite!

6. WA7F

WA7F Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This is more work than I would want take on right now but, it would sure look cool with a dish or 23cm EME array setting on top.

KG0EW likes this.