ad: elecraft

Quickie....Tigertronics-Signalink

Discussion in 'Software Defined Radio (SDR)' started by KH8AC, Jan 14, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KH8AC

KH8AC Ham Member QRZ Page

2. KH8AC

Of what Tigertronics offers is this also http://www.tigertronics.com/sl_plus_main.htm

Any benefit ? Computers make NOISE.

I do not know the best products or company out there but I get weary of these 'new model' every 30 days...old model support ends.... Sure I want to get rich too.

3. KD4MOJ

KD4MOJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

What exactly is the question??

There are only 2 interfaces from Tigertronics... been that way for years.

Never had any issues with noise from them.

...DOUG
    KD4MOJ

K3XR likes this.
  4. VE7BPB

VE7BPB Ham Member QRZ Page

Tho' it does not explicitly say so, I would assume that like the other signalink USB units it has an internal sound card.

However, you will most likely be plugging it into a computer that already has a soundcard inside (unless it's a Raspberry PI).

So, that being the case, why not just get a cable with 3.5 stereo plugs on each end and plug the output of the receiver directly into the computer soundcard?

And if you are worried about isolation to avoid hum, a small isolation transformer could be had for somewhat less than $130-odd bucks, hi.

regards, Roy

5. KH8AC

My initial try at SDR stuff the computer noise destroyed my interest.

If my laptops knock out a portable radio for example in an apartment what is the advantage ? I mostly speak of lower frequencies BUT recent for example I'm charging batteries and the battery charger even knocks out commercial VHF 88-108 mhz. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

This noise I would guess is via radio waves and not cable/wire connections.

Sure...wonders...a cheap SDR gadget plugged into your computer and a nice interface on the computer monitor BUT are you really hearing what is there ? FM mode not obvious.

I ask the questions to get OPINIONS. If the radio communications receiver is a DEAD obsolete piece of junk would a SDR type device bring it to life ?

The computer NOISE issue might be a concern. Many of your electronics are also NOISE transmitters.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
  6. KH8AC

The question is what is the preferred 'box' ? If you have many various radios is one more expensive than others as to buying cables, etc ?? A little review vs. 'I am the expert' ?

7. VE7BPB

VE7BPB Ham Member QRZ Page

You are being unclear on both your objective and what you think the Signalink box does. It is not an SDR, it is purely a device for handling audio.

The Signalink box is designed to plug into a radios sound output jacks.The box then plugs into a computer via a USB connection so that you can use the computer to process the audio, usually so you can decode digital signals.

Your objections about noise are valid, but they have nothing to do with the way the Signalink box works with a computer.

Bottom line, if you don't want to connect a computer to your radio, then you don't need the Signalink box, or any other interface box.

regards, Roy

KK4NSF likes this.
  8. K3RLD

K3RLD Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a USB Signalink that I use with both my TM-D710G and IC-706MKIIG. They both use the same exact small DIN interface cable. I use it for APRS, SSTV, and digi modes (although I find the modern digi modes soooo boring, so mainly just APRS and SSTV). Noise is certainly a problem, but I've found that the only issue my computer + Signalink create are a spike just above 144.39, making APRS more interesting. However I mostly use it for satellite APRS (145.825), so it's not really a big deal.

KK4NSF likes this.
  9. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

If you look at the box in the picture, it looks like a standard Tigertronics USB box. Just the cable / config is different... but YES it will add a lot of functionality to an old receiver. It will add Digital Capability (RTTY, PSK-31, and a whole host of other modes) to your otherwise analog receiver. All you need is the box, a computer, and the right software and you'll be listening to / decoding everything that you could with a brand new transceiver.

If your receiver has a CAT control port, you can also use Ham Radio Delux, or add an SDRplay as a panadapter and have a full waterfall display..... thus bringing your old radio up to current functionality. I've got an older Kenwood receiver with just that set-up, and it by far the best I've ever used.

So, you ask, why don't you just use the SDRplay? Well it's simple: The SDRplay is dependent on the computer's audio system.... which is almost always noisey and lacks dynamic range. My set-up uses the audio from the Kenwood, which is far cleaner and quieter. The end result beats the SDR hands down. For SWL, clean audio makes a huge difference when trying to listen to that weak signal from far away places.

10. KD8TUT

KD8TUT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Not with a gadget.

I'd suggest getting some experience with a better class of SDR rig. It might be eye opening for you.