Quick Contesting Question

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by AE0S, Apr 16, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. W3MMM

W3MMM Ham Member QRZ Page

Claus - you've gotten the "green light" answer to do this.

I'd suggest the one time NOT to do this is if the other station is clearly "running" stations quickly through a pileup, or otherwise very rapidly with no time in between. I *think* most of the contest participants will still accommodate you, but understand what you're doing in that case: You're taking the time of maybe 2 or 3 more contacts that they could make in their contest, in order to make 1 contact for your contest. And those 2 or 3 other people might go away - forever - if they don't work that station right away.

So the point is, limit doing this to a time/place where you won't be potentially costing the other station in their effort. An easy way to tell when it is OK is when you hear them CQ a few times in a row with no responses. This will generally be later in the contest, or at times when most others in your area are asleep.

So I'd suggest that this is an OK strategy but use it sparingly and only in certain situations.

W0IS likes this.
  2. K1OIK

K1OIK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I can't follow it not because you did not put forth a good argument, I am just not as smart as you.
    I think you got me. That does not mean I agree with using Q's instead of QSO. What if I used Q's for " I lived in the following Q's" (QTH).

3. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I supposed you could if that was the context. I knew a guy who talked in jargon at every chance he got and he would have said something like that :)

4. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, it's a VERY common usage. A search of 3830Scores.com (link) shows over 14K hits.

5. K1OIK

Those the excessively use jargon are trying to look smart and cool because they are neither.

6. K1OIK

I never heard anyone use the term on voice or CW.

7. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, in this fella's case that was very true. His antenna was a "Super Thunderbird Tango Henry Six Delta Xray Xray by Hy-Gain" everytime he mentioned it but be still said "Qs". Jargon Disease.

8. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Contesting jargon appears to be a subset of ham jargon...
    "Im up to 623 Qs and 152 mults in SO2R."
    Translation: "I'm up to 623 QSOs, with 152 multipliers (states/sections/countries/counties/etc) while operating in the Single Operator Two Radio category."

9. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

That does explain why Fisher isn't familiar with the usage.

It is very common in the contesting subset of the Amateur Radio community, but if one doesn't operate contests, one might be unfamiliar with this usage.

10. K1OIK

Then don't use Q's outside the contest community. At school I don't say QSL if a kid says did you get my homework.