Quick connect PL259s

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K8EA, Jun 12, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. K8EA

K8EA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi all. I am looking for an easier way to fully disconnect my antennas when not in service. I don't like having to screw the PL259 into the SO239 coax switch each time. I run my main station, a remote station, and several antennas so it's a bit of a nuisance. Not to mention that there is a degree of wear on these connectors and the slight bending of the RG213 each time. I have seen "slide on" PL259s but can only seem to find the male side. Maybe looking in the wrong place but shouldn't there be a complimentary female connector? Here's a link to what I am looking for (but only the male side?) https://www.amazon.com/Piece-W5SWL-...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=3PPVZRJX4VGD06VMMAZV

Also, needs to handle the full load, 1500 with a little headroom. Any help, advice, etc., greatly appreciated.
    Ed/K8EA

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  2. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I've never seen a female side. These slide firmly over the threads. As for power handling I have no idea. They are ok at least to a few hundred watts in my experience.

3. G0JUR

G0JUR Ham Member QRZ Page

looks like they dont make one.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  4. KS2G

KS2G Subscriber QRZ Page

5. W1TRY

W1TRY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Years ago (~1980) I found a quick connect male connector that appeared to be 50 ohms when I just started working for a UHF transmitter company. Nobody knew where it came from or what it fit, it was in a box of miscellaneous parts. I've never seen one since because I was thinking along the same lines as you are now. Google searches or obscure and/or obsolete connectors came up empty just now. I DID find a quick disconnect however:
    [​IMG]

KC1DR and N3AB like this.
  6. AF2Z

AF2Z Ham Member QRZ Page

That's probably the one you want. They attach to your coax cable which can then be slid on or off the SO-239 on your rig or tuner. However, be aware that these are rather tight fitting and will cause wear on the SO-239 socket threads every time they slide on and off.

I prefer using NO-OX-ID contact grease for this purpose. This allows quick threading of the plug's shell onto the socket; they can be very tightly secured by hand but easily loosened; no binding or canting like you get with dry PL259 shell threads, and no wear.

NL7W likes this.
  7. WA0YDE

WA0YDE Ham Member QRZ Page

We used something similar, a push-on sleeve that replaced the one on the 259.
    They were only used for testing. I would not rely on one for permanent use, especially
    at high power. Also, I've never seen a female version.

K4AGO likes this.
  8. W2AAT

W2AAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I found some at a hamfest. They were very difficult to disconnect and I agree they caused wear on the 239...

9. K4PIH

K4PIH Ham Member QRZ Page

I use BNC. They seem to work up to several hundred watts.

KF5HWG, K7WFM and G0JUR like this.
  10. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The slide-on PL-259s are male only as stated; they push over the threads of the female.

They might handle 1500W, but I wouldn’t guarantee that. The outer conductor contact area is smaller than with a regular screw-on type.

General Radio connectors are sexless and just push on and pull off without any threads; and the female and male are exactly the same connector. However, I have never seen a “coax switch” using those. They are excellent 50 Ohm connectors with an air dielectric and good to at least a few GHz and legal limit power, but again I don’t know if such a switch is even available.

However, disconnecting transmission lines “indoors” doesn’t afford any special protection I know of. LMR commercial/industrial apparatus never disconnects anything through violent lightning storms, etc — neither do commercial broadcast transmitters, repeaters, cell sites, etc. They’re simply designed for the best possible lightning protection. Using antennas that are all of “DC ground” design, making sure all cables are grounded at the cable entry point to the house, bonding that earth ground to the electrical utility ground and other measures should always be employed for permanent installations and if everything is done properly, you’re safer leaving it all connected.

WA7PRC, NL7W, WA4KCN and 1 other person like this.