ad: TinyPaddle-1

Questions regarding creating a post, subscripts, images, math symbols

Discussion in 'QRZ Site Community Help Center' started by KD2NCU, Dec 29, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KD2NCU

KD2NCU Ham Member QRZ Page

Several questions regarding what I can do when creating a post.

1. Does the user interface support subscripts and superscripts?

2. When I want to copy in a diagram or image I see several choices that I don't understand such as thumbnail versus actual image or something like that. What are the choices and what should I be using. I'm typically copying in circuit diagrams or graphs.

3. How do I control the size of the image that will appear in the final post. I've noticed that if I just copy and paste an image into a post it won't be the original size it looked like in, say PowerPoint, it will be hugely expanded in the post. I have noticed that if I shrink an image in PowerPoint before copying it into QRZ, then it will not be as huge in QRZ but this is a hit and miss approach.

4. I frequently want to use math symbols like integration and so on. So far I've just been creating the expressions in PowerPoint and then converting them to an image and then copying them into QRZ. Is there a better way?

Below is an example. The equations were created and then saved as an image in PowerPoint. It was much smaller in PowerPoint.
    Does the QRZ user interface have a way to create these math equations?

upload_2022-12-28_21-35-36.png
    Thanks for your help

Mark - KD2NCU

2. K8VHL

K8VHL Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

1. I haven't found an easy way. Perhaps someone else would chime in?
    2. Thumbnail should work better for you but look at some for sale ads where the photos are "full page" and see the difference. Always use Upload a File. Other approaches, such as Copy and Paste, have unpredictable and usually undesirable effects.
    3. Open the saved file with Edit with Photos and resize it appropriately. Place your cursor in your post where you want to place the re-sized image and Use Upload a File, then select Thumbnail. Re-size the image until you're happy. Re-sizing has a short learning curve.
    4. a. Is there a better way? Omit copy and use Upload a File.
    b. Does the QRZ user interface have a way to create these math equations? No.

3. KE0KOY

KE0KOY Ham Member QRZ Page

Latex work here?

[imath]a=\sqrt[3]{\frac{11}{7}*b^5}[/imath]

[math]a=\sqrt[3]{\frac{11}{7}*b^5}[/math]

....nope, that should have came out like
    2022-12-29 11_34_22-Need help with this algebra equation _ Math Forums - Brave.png

Last edited: Dec 29, 2022
  4. K8VHL

Thank you for providing the proof for my 4.b. :)
    Now, would you care to tackle my 1.?

5. KE0KOY

test...
    4b5

Last edited: Dec 29, 2022
  6. KE0KOY

figured it out.
    4b5
    sub sup.png

K8VHL and WR2E like this.
  7. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

wow!

8. K8VHL

9. KE0KOY

10. KE0KOY

LaTeX is a way to write nice math formulas in text and have it appear as clean looking formulas. The people running this forum would need to add that ability for it to work here. It is used over on mathforums.com quite a bit.

Whoever wrote the first paragraph of that wikibooks page sure was excited about it. If you scroll down, you will see example latex code for just about every math thing you might write in a text line

@QRZ how about adding that???

N3RYB likes this.
  11. KD2NCU

KD2NCU Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for your help.
    That's what I needed.
    Will give it a shot.

K8VHL and KE0KOY like this.
  12. K8VHL

Last edited: Dec 30, 2022