Questions about making a video for inclusion into a powerpoint talk.

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by WA3LKN, May 22, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. WA3LKN

WA3LKN Ham Member QRZ Page

Questions please:

I have to give a talk powerpoint talk at work and wanted to make a short little video and insert it in.

The only video-making or editing software I have is on an ancient XP computer ("movie maker") that I just fired up for the first time in years.

Question #1: What is some easy to use freebie video making and editing software?

Question #2: Although my current generation laptop has a camera in it, it would be tough to use it to make the close-ups I'll need from a crazy angle. So If I purchase an inexpensive computer video camera for my PC, my assumption is there are software drivers that you download for it.

2. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Free and PowerPoint are hard to use in the same sentence.

Any reason that you need to use PowerPoint ?

Good Luck on your presentation.

3. KC8RLU

KC8RLU Ham Member QRZ Page

WA3LKN,

What more recent version of Windows are you running? 7? Vista? 8? 10? If it's 7 or 8.x, you can still get Movie Maker for it. Although, you'll also need to download the Windows Live Essentials, since Movie Maker is bundled in it. MM under Windows 10, unfortunately, is not available. Microsoft recommends you use the Photos app to create and edit new videos.

4. WA3LKN

Actually I'm good with Powerpoint and inserting it into the talk shouldnt pose a problem.

I've got a full Win-7 and Win-10 Pro. I purposely didn't install Windows Live Essentials on Win-7 when it came out thinking it was going to intrude into privacy even more than the usual circumstance.

I don't see anything about video editing capability loaded onto Win-10 Pro I have here.

5. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

Since it's a one-time, quickie project, download Techsmith.com's Camtasia Studio--or any other video editing program--that gives you a 30-day trial period.

6. WA3LKN

That's a reasonable idea.

I think I'll also carefully research the freebie downloads on cnet.com but google them first by name along with "malware" and proceed very cautiously

7. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I use Total Recorder.

I bought it 15 years ago and still get free upgrades. :)

http://www.totalrecorder.com/downloads.htm

Enjoy the presentation.