Questions about identifying

Discussion in 'Becoming an Amateur Radio Operator/Upgrading Privi' started by KF7EIF, Sep 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. K8KOO

K8KOO Ham Member QRZ Page

Another reason to say ones call sign?

Here is the source of my confusion.

Here is a quote taken from the 2006 Element 2 Technician Class Question Pool.

From this quote and the answer in it, I am lead to understand, saying ones call sign may be often used to take the place of "CQ" to indicate one is listening for calls on a repeater. This would seem to indicate there is a second reason one might say ones call sign other than just for identification.
    -------
    As a side note, why is it I am not permitted edit my postings? As it is right not, if I make a mistake in one of my posts, I am stuck with it.

2. K8MHZ

K8MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

That's an interesting observation.

My question is whether or not there would be any confusion if people did NOT say 'for I.D.' when they were using their call as such. I doubt it. The only time I say it is to be sarcastic. I used to say 'for Riley' just to see if anyone was listening closely.

What if you had a call like KZ4ID? Would you say KZ4ID for ID?

3. K8KOO

Well, if I were on a net and somebody said their call sign during a gap in transmissions, I would think they wanted to say something more and would ask them if they had traffic to pass. If they were to clarify that they were just identifying then I would continue on with the net as usual.

4. K8MHZ

You are indeed correct. I have to admit, you are the first person I have ever heard come up with a concrete reason to add 'for ID' after their call.

You have made a very good and astute observation.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2009
  5. K8KOO

Thanks Mark...

Really, I never thought much about the 'for ID' issue till now. I just remembered my father back in the '50s, '60s, '70s and '80s, occasionally say 'for ID' after his call sign. All that time, it never occurred to me how that practice could be confused by others who might believe there could be a amateur call sign with two numerals in it.

Some how, I feel a bit silly for making my first posting on this forums, pointing out an issue that is really kind of silly. It's just that I had grown up all those years hearing my father say that once in a while and had become used to the practice.

I'm sorry if saying 'for ID' after ones call sign, irritates some folks.
    Anyway, it's no big issue with me, as I understand why they may be doing so.

My biggest regret is letting my license lapse back in 1984 and having to retake the tech exam once again to get myself back on the air again. My two sons decided to become Hams and so I went with them to take the exam and all three of us became licensed at the same time. It's kind of interesting to see how our call signs are consecutive as, KD8MJJ (my youngest son), KD8MJK (mine) and KD8MJL (my oldest son). Now we are a Ham family.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2009
  6. K8KOO

Since I can not edit my postings, I need to correct the eldest sons call sign here. It should be KD8MJL, not KD8MKL. Also I made a mistake on the year my license lapsed, it was granted in 1987 and thus would have lapsed in 1997.

Oh how I wish I could edit my postings in this forums.

7. K8MHZ

You don't have an 'EDIT' button next to the 'QUOTE' below your own posts?

(You have to be signed in to see it)

8. K8KOO

It says I am logged in at the top right corner of the screen. I can access my Private Messages and have exchanged some with one of the sons.

It says "Welcome, KD8MJK." in the top right corner of the screen, but I still can not see an edit button under my postings.

Perhaps I have not been a member of these forums long enough to warrant the edit button?
    */scratches head/*

9. W4PG

W4PG Super Moderator Lifetime Member 279 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I corrected the callsign of your son in the post above. The "edit" button has been disabled for various reasons. If you have any problems with editing, just report the post or ask a moderator to fix it for you.

........Bob W4PG QRZ Moderator

10. K8KOO

May I ask what the various reasons are, have I done something wrong?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.