ad: QSLWorks-1

Questionable Google Ads

Discussion in 'QRZ Site Community Help Center' started by KA3VSP, Jul 3, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. KA3VSP

KA3VSP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi all. Lately, here only on QRZ, I've been seeing some very questionable Google Ads on the top and bottom of each page. Mostly sexual in nature. Some have a 'x' in the right hand corner where you can choose not to see that particular ad again, but some do not. I've looked at the code, and they are Google ads.

I know that Google Ads are based on search history and cookies, but I don't think that's the case here. First, I don't go on those types of websites. Second, I've cleared all of my cookies but still see the ads. Third, I only see them here on QRZ. I do not see these ads on other websites that I visit that also feature Google Ad banners.

KK4NSF likes this.
  2. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

The ads are based on the browser history of your computer. Google places ads based on sites you have searched or visited

That’s how Google ads work

Dave
    W7UUU

PY2NEA likes this.
  3. KA3VSP

Yup, fully understand, but not in this case.
    As stated in my OP:
    I know that Google Ads are based on search and cookies, but I don't think that's the case here. First, I don't go on those types of websites. Second, I've cleared all of my cookies but still see the ads. Third, I only see them here on QRZ. I do not see these ads on other websites that I visit that also feature Google Ad banners.

KK4NSF likes this.
  4. KA3VSP

I've just logged into a customer server in New Jersey. One that I've never used the web browser. Logged into QRZ, and the ads are there. It's not coming from my search history or cookies. If you can view connection info, you'll see that I'm logged in via two separate IPs in two different states.

5. KA3VSP

6. K8VHL

K8VHL Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

It's almost always based on what is on the computer. Assuming you're on a single user system, try logging out of QRZ, deleting your search history and all cookies, restarting your Windows 10 or 11 box, then open an Incognito window and log into QRZ.

7. WJ4U

WJ4U Subscriber QRZ Page

No such ads here.

8. KA3VSP

Just opened a brand new laptop. I'm not signed into Google and the very first website I logged into was QRZ, and the ads are still there. There's something associated with my QRZ login. That's the only common denominator.

KK4NSF likes this.
  9. KA3VSP

And just like that, as of today, the questionable ads are gone.

10. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep. I have seen them as well, although not recently. If I see one again, I'll screen-shot it and post a reply.

KK4NSF likes this.
  11. KA3VSP

I did have a screenshot but decided not to post it due to the nature of the images. Another thing that I found odd was that they only appeared in the Google Ads banner in the footer of the page, never the top header. Now, the footer banners are what I would expect to see.

12. KF5FEI

Here ya go -- and on this thread as well:

upload_2022-7-6_15-42-37.png

13. KF5FEI

And aother:

upload_2022-7-6_15-45-2.png

14. G5WCW

G5WCW Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't tell the wife! :D

15. KA3VSP

I haven't seen any today. These are mild as compared to what was showing on my browser. Are all of yours only showing in the footer? Do you see any on the top header?