QUESTION QYT KT 8900D ?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K4EEZ, Jan 30, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K0MB

K0MB Ham Member QRZ Page

My first one died within Amazon's 30 days, and I got another one. They run alarmingly hot.

W4KVW likes this.
  2. IU0KWX

IU0KWX Ham member QRZ Page

3. KC3SWL

KC3SWL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

They are great radios........ for dxing intermod and static anywhere mobile with a half decent dual band antenna. I can't even begin to count how many times I would be driving down the road and get that buzzing sound from the area electrical sources.
    What made this particular radio stand out was the loud as hell audio coming from that tiny speaker. It was loud for a reason. It was killing the audio transistor each time til one day the radio went completely deaf and max volume produced a bare whisper. I took it apart and found out there is absolutely no documentation online that at least I could find outlaying the schematics or even a parts list ,so apparently it's one of those disposable radios like the cardboard cameras of 30 years ago. I gave it up. I tossed my Hustler MX270 dual band antenna in the back of the Jeep, got a Larsen 150 NMO mount whip, Comet NMO trunk lip mount and a Kenwood TM281 and called it a day. Now I can talk 40 some odd miles away into New Jersey repeaters or go 20 or 30 plus miles simplex down to Kent County MD from Northern Delaware

4. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

There are actually two different radios under discussion. The 7900 and the 8900. The 7900's receiver is pretty sensitive, but suffers from some of the same faux pas as the 8900's--you'll hear every business' burglar alarm you pass. OTOH, the radio seems more robust than the 8900. I've used mine frequently for nearly a year without it self immolating. As I mentioned earlier, I even used it to run my local club's net for a month. Didn't overheat, and was perfectly adequate for the purpose, talking on a repeater. I wouldn't expect perfection for 75 bucks, but it is just fine for the local repeaters--the 7900, that is. Of course, you can get a lemon there too. You pays your money and you takes your chances. ;)

Assuming, however, that you can get one like the one I got, I'd say "pretty darned good buy."

5. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

That will work for a little while, Until the smoke gets out.

Do not try on high power.

IU0KWX likes this.
  6. KC3SWL

Mine was the KT8900 as in KillTransistor8900times.

IU0KWX likes this.
  7. VA3GFY

VA3GFY Ham Member QRZ Page

my qyt has stop'd working and display is flashing . do no leave this radio turned on 24 hours a day it will not last long .lolol

8. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

8900 or 7900? The 7900 has a fan that helps with the cooling problem that's killed more than on 8900...

9. KC3SWL

8900 had a fan too...... little bitty thing on the back of the heat sink. It was maybe inch square or two at most.

10. VE3KBF

VE3KBF Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually the 8900D is quite easy to program manually. Just 4 steps and you've got a Repeater programmed with a CTCSS tone, into a memory channel. It's not rocket science. Enter VFO Mode, then...
    Step 1: Enter Receive Frequency from Mic Keypad-Example 146.940
    Step 2: Press MENU, 13, MENU, Select CTCSS Tone, then MENU, EXIT
    Step 3: Press MENU, 44, MENU, Select Memory Channel #, then MENU, EXIT
    Step 4: From Mic Keypad, enter Transmit Frequency-Example 146.340, then MENU, 44, MENU, MENU, EXIT .....you're done

Last edited: Jun 5, 2020