QUESTION QYT KT 8900D ?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K4EEZ, Jan 30, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. K9KXW

K9KXW Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a friend that has this very radio and he's had nothing but problems with it. The audio is low and cuts out. Also it gets hot and acts even worse when it does. He's going to get a small fan to blow air to the heat sink to see if it helps, otherwise he's ready to send it back and just go back to his 2 meter Yaesu. He's fed up with it.

73 de Jim

2. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

That means that they have 4 radios standing by, To replace that one if it has a problem. :rolleyes:

K0MB and K4EEZ like this.
  3. K0BEL

K0BEL Ham Member QRZ Page

FYI: There is a very easy fix for muffled audio on these radios. Simply open the microphone and drill the mic hole to twice it's size through both the casing and the circuit board. Just make sure you don't severe the obvious connection line on the board. Be sure to talk into the mic and not have 3 inches of air between you and the mic - Just like every other radio. I have had my kt-8900 for over a year. The incoming audio is clear and listeners cannot tell the difference between the transmit on this or my ft-1900. I don't use my FT-1900 any longer. With a j-pole on my roof I can clearly connect with the Brainerd repeater - 109 miles away, and with the Mpls/St Paul repeater 60 miles away.

KA9JLM likes this.
  4. KG7FIU

KG7FIU Ham Member QRZ Page

Have this radio. Transmit seems fine. Supposedly the mic is quite "hot" -- one should even back off a bit from it when talking. Coverage across the three bands (144, 220, 440) does work nicely.

The main thing I don't like is the quality of the reception. Have the unit installed in my car, and driving around one can hear the audio continually alternating between good signal and static. Quite annoying. Can even watch the signal strength LEDs and observe that the level is fluctuating wildly. Sort of reminiscent of old stereo FM multipath issues. This happens a lot -- most of the time -- unless you happen to be lucky enough to be connected to a really strong repeater signal.

Radio works a lot better if you just use it when stationary...

5. KB3UWC

KB3UWC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have an earlier model, the name on it is Juentai. I have had it about 3 years. I had it on my desk, and got terrible transmit audio reports, receive was ok with good clear receive audio. Then put it in the car, as soon as the wheels on the car started moving the picket fencing started, it was unusable. I tried the so called fixes for the transmit audio, i was told it got worse. I read the picket fencing was caused by the tone squelch, i disabled it same thing. I then threw it on the garage shelf, and forgot about it. A few weeks ago i started playing with it on the bench again. I figured i would take a chance and replace the mic. Found one on ebay for $18.95 and free shipping from China. Transmit audio is now great. I have the tiny radio mounted under the shelf in my shack, and use it to check into local nets. Lesson learned you get what you pay for.
    Steve KB3UWC

6. F4HSQ

F4HSQ Ham Member QRZ Page

does it have repeater mode ?

7. K4AGO

K4AGO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I had this exact same radio. It was so bad it had all of the problems listed above. I finally ended up giving it to another ham who wanted to experiment, trying to fix it. I then bought an Icom which is what I should have done in the first place. We had a 220 repeater in our area, but lightning took it out and the owner didn't bother to repair or replace it. When the repeater worked it was always quiet. 220 is a lost cause in our area. 440 is quickly moving in the same direction. There is still a bit of 2 meter traffic around but only 1/10 as much as there was in the 80's and 90's. I get more use out of 10 meter FM than I do the VHF and UHF frequencies.

8. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If you want a similar radio in this price range that is s little better, seek out the KT 7900D (sold under a variety of brands).

It's got a fan so it's not as prone to overheating. It also features four bands (well, really three, 2-meters, 220, and 440...350Mhz may be a ham band in the far east, but it's allocated to the military here). I got one last spring, and it's worked just fine. I even did net control duties with it for our 2-meter net here for a couple of months when my shack was being remodeled. Good audio reports and a receiver that, while not super-hot, is good enough for the repeaters. Don't expect the advertised 25-watt output...mine ranges from about 22 - 18 watts depending on the band. But that is more than enough. Oh, and order a programming cable. The manual is utter MADNESS, making it just about impossible to program by hand (I couldn't figure it out, anyhow). It is very small, making it easy to find a place for it in modern vehicles which don't have much space nor options for mounting radios.

HOWEVER...there's example to example variations as is usual with cheap stuff from China and not just the 7900 and 8900. Mine has been fine for months. A local buddy of mine bought one, however, and his died after a month.

9. VA3GFY

VA3GFY Ham Member QRZ Page

my qyt has been turned on for over 3 years . now no tx and display is flashing with audio . well i only payed 90 bucks new for it .

10. IU0KWX

IU0KWX Ham member QRZ Page

Hi,

I've got it since a couple of days :), but you can find how to use it as a repeater on Youtube looking for "KT-7900d repeater". There are a couple of videos quite interesting.

Ciao

alessandro / IU0KWX