Question on the use of amps.

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by W5DOH, Dec 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. K5DBX

K5DBX Ham Member QRZ Page

Allen, I understand your frustration, however concerning your approach, you have to ask yourself as ol' Dr Phil says, "how's that workin' for ya'?" Obviously he has the right to run his amp on any band that it is legal for him to transmit on. And by virtue that his transmission causes front-end overload on your equipment doesn't mean by that alone, that he is in the wrong either. You may have to come to the conclusion, that just as you have to accept band noise, you may have to accept this phenomenon.

2. W5DOH

W5DOH QRZ Member QRZ Page

No I did not have to do that he knows and that reminds me he also bought a MFJ - 44 CW KEYER/READER and ask why I do not get one, I told him I can do 5-WPM and I had to do that when I got my Novice License, he said well just thought you could send faster.

3. KR2C

KR2C Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Oh, the horrors. :D

4. N8YX

N8YX Ham Member QRZ Page

Weighing in a bit late here:

Among the other gear which is in the shack, I have a similar setup (IC-751A/'2KL/AT-500). I also have a ham who lives within 1/4 mile of me. Unless I have a rig's noise blanker activated, the station in question isn't discernible until I'm almost right on his operating frequency. Ditto my equipment; I can run QRO and he doesn't know I'm around. (Our shacks have a number of rigs in common, so I have a good idea of how things are on the "other end" with regards to receiver IP3 and dynamic range.)

When we're both on our favorite 10M hangout we can run QRPp or QRO and still not crunch each others' front ends.

Preamps and noise blankers are OFF, of course. ;)

5. KA0GKT

KA0GKT Ham Member QRZ Page

Please remember that the limit is less that 1,500-watts on the 60-meter band, the 30-meter band and the 70-cm band (in areas near certain military installations and in the border zones.)

Last edited: Dec 25, 2010
  6. KL7AJ

KL7AJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It's also a good thing that there are no limits on ERP, only transmitter output power! Otherwise, it would be impossible to do Moonbounce and other high path-loss modes.

In the commercial world, there are FCC rules that state "good engineering practice" without strictly defining them. I think the minimum usable power rule is sort of the same thing in the amateur rules. It's unenforceable, but I think we all KNOW what it means, and most of us violate it. (I can run a full gallon on several bands SIMULTANEOUSLY, if I had to...but I never use high power on high bands. If the bands suck, power doesn't help, and if the band's good, you don' t need it. Power is most useful on low bands where you're trying to overcome noise at the receiving end!

Eric

7. KA0GKT

KA0GKT Ham Member QRZ Page

The 60-meter (5 MHz) band indeed is limited by the Effective Radiated Power. (Referenced to a dipole)

8. K2WH

K2WH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I've used the "Homeland Security" phrase when questioned about all the antennas on my car. The person asking just goes "Oh" and that's the end of the Q&A.

K2WH

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.