Question on the use of amps.

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by W5DOH, Dec 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Subscribe
  1. KI0MX

KI0MX Ham Member QRZ Page

Question on the use of amps...blah blah blah

I live in extreme south east Iowa.....anyway....when I tried to check in to the Iowa 75 meter net, often times I could not hear the Net Control Station on 3.970 over the signal coming out of Kalamazoo, Michigan on his frequency of 3.967.5. Enough said. Although, I have decided to peruse other frequencies/modes....this ain't right to hear someone hundreds of miles away...during an established net. A net that has been on longer than the station in the other state....I think, I could be wrong there....(covering all bases). I cannot say what the station runs for equipment, just what he has stated....a homebrew 3 element wire beam for 75 meter phone, a Commander amp (3 tube), and an Icom IC775 ( at one time). Often times, he "points" his beam to the west....so he can get into the "S-meter.net" internet receiver. I think mostly it's because I am in the path of his beam, that I hear his strong signals....being basically new to ham radio, you know....only had my license for 14 years or so. I used to be a "CB splatterer" also...so I know where these folks are "coming from". But....one mile or less....you will no doubt hear the other station no matter where you listen within the band you and he share....Simple steps....like the other posts....check your equipment, or change polarity of your receive antenna, or even change altitude of said antenna....Anyway...I'm outta here! Peace....and good luck sorting this out.

2. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

The comments regarding receiver overload are right on the mark. It bears repeating that noise blankers can make it appear that the transmitting station is much wider than it actually is.

I've been accused of interfering with someone's hi-fi, only when the person was using the turntable. I tried to use logic, saying that my transmitter was acting like a transmitter but her turntable was acting like a receiver. It didn't help. It's too bad... she was purty! ;)

Similar to Steve/WIK's story, a former boss once told me that one day, he put a dipole up sans feedline. He started to get RFI/TVI complaints and each time pointed out that he couldn't possibly be the source since there was no way for a signal to get to his antenna. After all the complaints came, he connected the feedline. ;)

3. W5DOH

W5DOH QRZ Member QRZ Page

Let me make this issue more clear, 1. I am not concerned with how fast he got his license,m 2. many amateurs through out the U.S.A. have trid to tell him via radio what he is doing wrong he just ignors them, 3. Hee has no concern for others when on the air besides me there is one other ham that is closer to him he has been told he does not need the amp on the 10 meter net for local or distance in our town or state just needs 100 watt not 800 plus watts.

Thank Hevans for Swan Radios all tube Tx & Rec.

4. W8JI

W8JI Ham Member QRZ Page

Technically, the station or stations having a spot are the stations there first at any period of time. Not who was there yesterday, and not if it is a net or not. No one can "reserve" or "own" a frequency, net or not, except W1AW. :) Skeds, nets, or just Bob and Bill have equal priority. First on, first served.

The NICE thing to do is yield for the sked or net if possible, but the law is really whoever is on first has it. W1AW, for some reason, is the only one allowed to just pile on. :)

Most fights come from someone wanting be nasty, like radio road rage. This goes on a lot in contests.

73 Tom

5. W5DOH

W5DOH QRZ Member QRZ Page

Now that is what I am trying to do find a way to diplomatically get this matter settled he has to understand to drop the amp when on the 10 meter net, I became a amateur radio operator back in 1985 or 1986 took the 5 wpm cw test to get my novice stayed a novice till 2007 I think and that was when I got my Tech., I have no problem with him on 2-meter or 70 centimeter just on the 10 meter net which we both do. His tower is 40 foot and my tower is 40 foot, I like the guy but just want him to lower his power when on the net, when I just run a Kenwood 140s with 90 watts I had no problem getting out to everyone since it a my mobile bit the dust I am using my Swan 350.
    Darn-it I'm trying to be a nice guy and not hurt his feelings.

6. K3STX

K3STX Ham Member QRZ Page

Why do you care? As Tom already told you, if he turns off the amp he will go from S9+60 db to S9+55 db!! Is that something you will really notice!?

Now if he has a bad amp, THAT is a different issue. But you have no evidence of that, do you? The Noise Blanker comments are also right on, really strong CW signals as much as 10 kc away REALLY click away on my Kenwood TS-850S when the noise blanker is on, Noise blanker off (or strong attenuator on) the clicking and "splatter" all goes away.

paul

7. KJ6HYC

KJ6HYC Ham Member QRZ Page

When I was a kid, we had a CBer in our neighborhood that he and his buddies made his own tube linear amp. on a stripped out tube television chassis, with out a case. When he was on the air we received about half of the TV channels. I tryed to have a conversation w/him and was told to "F" off. So I built a mico power 27 Mhz sweep generator that swept about 1 Mhz and center tuned it for the CB band. Put it in a waterproof case and hid it in his bushes. Left it for a week and when its batterys went dead, I went back over and had another conversation, he had desided to no longer use his home made linear. Not saying do it, but it worked for me.

8. KB0TT

KB0TT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Intentional Interence

Tom is correct.

If someone is CLOSE to you , accept the issues . These problems

have been around for a LONG time ! I lived six houses from another

Amateur who was working CW on the 20 M band . His signal swamped

my receiver . I used the filters , attenuators , basically everything I had

to eliminate the issue . He would run 800 watts . His signal was

' clean as a whistle ' proved out on my ' Cushman CE-3 M-1 '
    service monitor .

I did NOT complain ! I did make the trip to his house one night .

He stated that there was some other Amateur who was doing the same to him.

It was me ! We just agreed not to work the same bands on the same

day. Problem resolved . I did tell him that his signal was good and that

The Cushman proved it . Both of us were happy and remain friends

to this day . By the way , he is a GOOD CW op .

Enough, really , about this ' could be ' radio rage thingie .

This episode happened in the early 70's . It was all good .

Please listen to what Tom is telling you .

The intentional interference is ' ignorant ' .

JB

NNNN

9. WA4OTD

WA4OTD Ham Member QRZ Page

Why not just come out and say you are overloading my receiver when we are on the 10M net, can you please lower your power?

10. VE3PP

VE3PP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Maybe she was an "Illegal" and thought you were moving in to spy on her :D

You just can not make stories like yours up Steve! You are truly a classic. ;)

I read Tom, W8JI's post twice and agree with his statements.

I have another ham who lives about 1 mile as the crow flies from me. When he checks into the daily 80 meter phone net his signal is strong. But not strong enough to damage my transceivers. With 100 watts he is 40/9. I sometimes check in right along with him and at times have my amp on, running 700 watts. So far he has not lost the front end of his older Kenwood.

BTW, I bother my one neighbors phone. I do not bother anyone else, including my own electronic devices. The problem is the phone I bother belongs to a neighbor who I do not get along with at all.

In the past I have tried to explain to him that he needs to put filters on his phone line and also check the incoming wires to make sure the ground is good and all connections are tight. But ohhhhhhhhh no, he knows it all. Last time he talked to me about his problem he said he was going to call the CRTC. :D

The CRTC in Canada looks after Commercial Radio and TV, not hams.:) So far I have not been contacted by the CRTC!

As others have said, please ask him to not run his amp during the local 10 meter net, and get others to politely do the same.

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year everyone

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.