ad: elecraft

Question on the use of amps.

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by W5DOH, Dec 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Subscribe
  1. W5DOH

W5DOH QRZ Member QRZ Page

What exactly is the rule on using a Linear Amplifier when communicating on the amateur bands, I have a problem on 10-meter with a fellow ham using a amp on 10-meter during a local net, I have listened to him when it was not on and know the signal strength when he is barefoot and when he is using the amp. I understand he has been told by other hams on 20-meter that he is really broad band in other words covering more than you should and interfering with other hams communications his signal has hurt two of my transistor radios so I have a old boat anchor that is immune to his over powering he swears he is not using the amp and has his neighbors convinced he is not the interference. Local club and hams have talked to him but he is a hard-head or just don't get the message.

kb5doh Love my Swan.

2. PC4W

PC4W Ham Member QRZ Page

Call the police! Ham operators schould have a social lifestyle. The are rules, also when he has a license. Maximum bandwith etc.

3. N0AZZ

N0AZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Sounds as if you need some better filters and the other radios if they are not amateur radios it's there problem if a amateur radio is causing the problem they must be FCC compliant also.
    A lot depends on his setup radio, amp, way he uses the equipment mostly if he is emitting a clean signal or even a high swr could be the cause. To many things to count to be able to tell all you can do is go to him and ask about problem you are having "IF" your sure it's his station that is causing the problem. I would say you need to go to him as friendly as possible if you plan to to get things resolved.

Good luck hope you get it worked out.

4. W8JI

W8JI Ham Member QRZ Page

General class and above Hams can run 1500 watts output on all bands, including 20 meters.

You need to get more specific than to just make a complaint like that.

How far is he from you? What antennas are used? Is his signal really wide, or is it the other people with problems? How do YOU know any of this first hand?

SWR does not cause problems like this. Generally the problem is in the receivers or how they are made and adjusted, and sometimes in the transmitting station and how it is made or how it is adjusted.

5. N0IU

N0IU Ham Member QRZ Page

You really should get a copy of Part 97!

But until you can get one of your own...

§ 97.313 Transmitter power standards.
    (a) An amateur station must use the minimum transmitter power necessary to carry out the desired communications.

6. W8JI

W8JI Ham Member QRZ Page

The only enforceable limit is the maximum power limit, because minimum possible power as defined in 97.313a is technically not feasible to maintain without a closed loop controlling power nor is it even remotely definable.

In all of history the only "busts" have been for going over maximum limits.

7. N0IU

N0IU Ham Member QRZ Page

Touché!

But he still needs to get his own copy of Part 97!

8. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It's like deja-vu all over again. You posted this same message in multiple forums.

Same answer: All of the rules are in Part 97. Look it up. It's online at the ARRL web site and the FCC web site and probably a couple dozen other web sites.

9. W4PG

W4PG Super Moderator Lifetime Member 279 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

What kind of antenna is he using? How far away is he? It's quite possible he is operating just fine, but nevertheless he's overloading your receiver front end.

Of course, he could be overdriving his rig, have his mike gain set too high, too much compression, etc etc.

If you have a way to monitor his signal with an oscilloscope, you can answer the question.

If not, try turning down your RF gain on your receiver or use the attenuator, if you have one, and see whether his signal "improves."

When I was a kid operating there was another ham that lived about 1/2 mile as the crows flies from me. When he came on the air, I knew it, no matter where he was transmitting or I was listening. My old receiver just couldn't handle a KW coming from him that close.

He once cranked up on RTTY about 5 kc from where I was net control of our section CW net one night. :eek:

I have a ham now that lives about 1/4 mile from me. Even when he's just running 100 watts, he's 60 db over S9 and his signal "seems" broader than most though it's just so strong. Nothing wrong with that.

..............Bob

10. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The "minimum power necessary" is obviously unenforceable. If I was talking to my next door neighbor while running 1500W, I could easily claim that was the minimum power necessary because I was waiting for another friend from Mozambique to break in when he heard me, and we had already verified he can't hear me with less than 1500W.:) They might as well delete that part of the rules; I've never heard of it being enforced, ever.

But regarding the splatter/wide bandwidth etc. there are surely a number of 10m amateurs using "CB" type amplifiers on the 10m ham band. Most of these aren't linear at all and really can produce some horrid signals, especially if you're close by and they're strong. It remains to be seen if that's the case here, or not.

One way to determine if your receiver's being overloaded is to tune off frequency of one of these "wide" signals so it reads some recordable signal level, like S9, and then switch in a 20 dB attenuator. If the signal drops 20 dB, your receiver probably wasn't already overloaded. If it drops more than that, it may have been.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.