Question on ranges with my 2 meter setup

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by AD0RD, Jan 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: l-rl
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
  1. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Yeah, that was my first guess several posts ago.

But good for you! You nailed it.

I'd give you five points for that, but I'm feeling stingy, so just three points.:p

2. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

I didn't know a KX3 could do FM !!!

3. KO6WB

KO6WB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

[TABLE="width: 100%"]
    [TR]
    [TD="width: 100%, bgcolor: #C0C0C0, colspan: 2"] KX3 STANDARD FEATURES[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: auto-style1, bgcolor: #FFFFFF"]
    • 160 - 6 meter ham bands; general coverage receive from 1.5 - 32.0 MHz (also covers 0.31 - 1.5 MHz with reduced sensitivity)
    • All modes: SSB, CW, Data (four sub-modes), AM, ​FM
    • Ultra-compact size: 3.4"H x 7.4"W x 1.7"D; 18 oz. (less options)
    • Rear tilt feet fold up for transport
    • Custom high-contrast LCD with alphanumeric text display
    • Internal 8 - AA battery holder
    [/TD]
    [TD="width: 50%, bgcolor: #FFFFFF"]
    • Current drain as low as 150 mA in receive mode
    • High-performance 32-bit floating-point DSP
    • Built-in PSK/TTY decode/encode allows data mode operation without a PC; transmit in data modes using CW keyer paddle
    • Low-noise synthesizer with 1-Hz tuning resolution
    • Firmware updateable via provided application software

Have fun
      Gary
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

4. WB4RC

WB4RC Ham Member QRZ Page

KV0VQM, Repeaters are kinda neat, but I don't know how it is in your area, but seems like there is always someone on there who thinks they are the ham radio police, and sometimes speaking freely is frowned upon!! And for those of you out there, I don't mean cussing!! I just mean speaking freely about whatever subject you want! We have a simplex group in our area, and we don't have any trouble talking 80-100 miles to other stations and we have hills, flatland and a variety of obstacles.... You might consider tuning around in the simplex part of the band and see if you guys have such a group over there. With the terrain you have, you'd be shocked how well you can do... If you get the summer time ducting, you can talk 100's of miles. My record is Missouri from Virginia on FM, .. but that only happened once...! To me there's not much satisfaction if I can talk to someone 100 miles away using a repeater box that's up 10,000 feet... who cares, your station only made it to the repeater box 30 miles away, a person can hit that with a HT since it's up high anyway... but when you talk to that station directly, it's a different feeling...

5. W0AAT

W0AAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

With a KX3 I would be looking at the weak signal segments for more fun. 2m SSB is a blast and long ranges are possible with moderate beam antennas.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.