Question from an old longtime ham getting started with Arduino

Discussion in 'Arduino Playground' started by N3TGY, Sep 3, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. N3TGY

N3TGY Ham Member QRZ Page

thank you for sharing this ! so many fun things to build and try out , I cannot wait much longer for mine to arrive ! like a little kid on Christmas morning ! thanks very much and 73 de N3TGY

K1LKP likes this.
  2. K1LKP

K1LKP Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

HAVE LOADS OF FUN

reindeer-santa-dancing-1.gif

73 - K1LKP

AA5BK and N3TGY like this.
  3. NQ4T

NQ4T XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Here's what it boils down to for me:

Does my project require a lot of advanced stuff where a 30 second boot time is acceptable? RPi it is.
    Does my project maybe not require advanced stuff an instant boot is desired? Arduino.

When I originally started developing HamHead...it was all based around stuff I did in Python on an RPi. I was so set on going with RPi because I figured "it's just Linux". I figured the amount of "code" I'd have to figure out would be simplified since I could just call external programs. But then I realized no one wanted to wait 30 seconds for remote head to boot up. After looking at what I actually had to do for radio communication; I realized the Arduino would be fast enough for the job and boot up in about a second.

Both can do similar things; one can do everything the other can and more. This is what makes it confusing.

It's also confusing when you consider "Arduino" is both branded hardware, a software IDE, and a "language".

That being said...you can get some pretty powerful and beefy microcontrollers that are compatible with the Arduino IDE and programmed like an Arduino.

RaspberryPi's aren't just Python either; they'll literally run anything you can run on the OS. You can even write assembly and run it on a RPi "bare metal" if you're skilled enough.

WA4SIX, VE3CGA and N3TGY like this.
  4. G8FXC

G8FXC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

A lot depends on what you are trying to do with it. These little single board computers are usually short of memory and processing power. Python is an interpreted language with quite a big overhead - it may not leave enough of the computer available to execute your program. C is a lower level language and your code gets almost all the computer.

I've been building a Morse terminal based on the K3NG keyer - I can fit all the code into an Arduino Mega 2560 and there is sufficient processing resource to run it. That is in C - I don't believe that the little Arduino could execute the same functionality implemented in python.

Martin G8FXC

N3TGY likes this.
  5. AD5MB

AD5MB Ham Member QRZ Page

All of my Arduinos are 5 VDC. All of my RPis and ESP32s are 3.3 VDC. The first question is, do you want a 5 volt project, or a 3.3 volt project? Can you find all of the modules you need in 3.3 volts?

Arduinos are for stand alone projects. RPis work best with a PC attached, or a touch screen. If you just need an LCD display and pushbutton controls, go Arduino.

If a network is involved, full size RPis have that built in.

6. NQ4T

NQ4T XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That's easy to work around with level converters and voltage regulators.

Except the RPi *is* a PC. It's a full system on a chip. It's normally used in cases were you might want the power/capability of a full PC in a small package.

You can use a touchscreen on Arduino. There's nothing stopping you. Most of the processing for handling the touch is in the display...it just sends out a data stream.

Also, Pi-Zero W's have built in WiFi; so networking isn't limited to just full-size Pi's.

N3TGY likes this.
  7. G8FXC

OK, so I ordered a couple of Picos which arrived today and I've started reading in detail - I think I've fallen in love! It is a seriously nice little processor at a very low price in an attractive package. It looks like you can treat it as a fast, low cost Arduino, but that would not do it justice - bit like using a sports car to pick up the kids from school. It naturally runs the MBed RTOS and I'll be coding to that in C++. My first project will be to try to port the K3NG keyer to it...

Martin (G8FXC)

AA5BK and N3TGY like this.
  8. N3TGY

Martin , mine is on its way to my home, I ordered both an Arduino starter kit and a Raspberry Pico, that should keep me busy for quite a while. I'm glad that you like the Pico, we'll have to start a project site. Like I mentioned earlier that I'd read a page that Raspberry and Arduino are to be collaborating on a hybrid board mixing everything together, I just don't remember where I saw that article. My kids are really excited to work with me on these projects. I'd like to work on something to tie into my ham gear. So many cool things to try just not enough hours in the day but these things are really breathing new life into my old hobby! 73 de N3TGY

9. N3TGY

10. G8FXC

So now I have the development tools configured on my laptop and I've compiled and loaded a couple of trivial examples - still impressed! MBed is a bit more primitive than I had hoped, but I think I can live with it. There is a version of FreeRTOS available and I'm a very experienced FreeRTOS programmer, but it is described as a beta release and I am not enthusiastic about testing someone else's port of some complex code into a processor that I don't know well!
    Martin G8FXC

N3TGY likes this.