Question For Real Business Employers - " Go To School In Your Pajamas ! "

Discussion in 'Survey Center' started by W2BBQ, Apr 27, 2011.

?

A Degree From An Online University Has/Is/Gets

1. Very Good Value and Importantance

3 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Some Possible Value and Importance

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. Gonna Have A Long Talk With Applicant

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  4. Will Consider On Individual Merits

4 vote(s)
    33.3%
  5. Admire The Hutspah of it All

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Dissmissed Outright

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
  7. Thanks For The Bellylaughs

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-2
  1. W2BBQ

W2BBQ Ham Member QRZ Page

You've all seen the commercials. If you haven't, then you don't watch TV. Go to school in your pajamas etc.... Get a college degree from (fill in the name here) online university. Any of them..."University of Phoenix" has been around perhaps the longest.

Question to employers in any kind of real - substantial business who has positions requiring a college degree. BA, BS etc....

Have you already encountered this in your hiring process? What do you say to applicants who....went to college in their pajamas? Do you lend any credence to their educational credentials?

Hire them like mad? Laugh them out of your office? What?

2. AE1PT

AE1PT Ham Member QRZ Page

I have both hired, worked with, and managed people who have gotten degrees online--from accredited institutions. It's a perfect way for adult students to work, deal with a family, and advance their credentials at the same time. Online education is getting pretty common these days for graduate level work and credentials. Conventional colleges and universities are shifting a greater percentage of courses to online availability.

As long as the graduate does not show up at work or a meeting in their pajamas, I see no problems. Heck, I work from my home office and sometimes do not change until noon or afterwards... :cool::p

3. KC0YEJ

KC0YEJ Ham Member QRZ Page

TMI TMI! Now I have to get THAT mental image out of my head!

4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Not much credence. Many of these "universities" are not accredited* and are good money makers for their owners.

(*University of Phoenix actually is, by the HLC, which covers midwestern states.)

We give far more credence to brick & mortar-based degrees from schools known for specific programs relevant to us. If we're serious about a candidate, we'll buy the transcripts to see how they did.

5. WB2WIK

With three kids in Universities right now (ugh!) this is certainly true, to some extent. But they have to show up in classrooms, too -- for labs, often for lectures, obviously for performances (usually in a theatre and not a classroom), to display artwork and projects, to give speeches or participate in debates, and for lots of things. My kids all take an "on line test" now and then, when those are allowed to be "open book," anyway, and the rules are pretty strict:

If you take an on-line test (which is never a final exam, but can be quizzes and interim exams), you have between 12:01AM and 11:59PM of one day to take it, and the test will "expire" exactly 60 minutes after you log on; thus, you have the same 60 mins to take the test on line as you'd have in the classroom. The classroom would actually be easier, as you could possibly extend the 60 mins a little bit if the professor is still in the room. On-line, there are no extensions. 60.000 minutes after the test starts, it finishes, whether you're finished or not. If you have a slow or interrupted internet connection, tough.

6. AE1PT

AE1PT Ham Member QRZ Page

During my undergrad time, I did three "distance learning" courses. Horrid things. One required us to watch a certain PBS (Ken Burns Civil Rights compendium) series that was very good--but the video tapes at the library of the professor were stultifying. The two others were the same way. A couple more classes I did at the graduate level were "independent study" that required no classroom either. Shortly after I went on faculty at UK, we started doing some classes which were "live" and had a normal small classroom registration, and ones that were 150+ seminar types. These were piped to satellite campuses, and streamed to students in some areas via the internet.

UT and others here in Tennessee are using things such as Cisco's Webex to run interactive classes with large enrollment. There is little one gets in the classroom that cannot be done with this interface--except becoming fixated on thongs creeping out of the low rider jeans of fellow students. Ask questions, chat with graduate teaching assistants, etcetera--and be able to download a stream of the class plus all comments later.

As to the undergraduate "diploma mills" that have been proliferating the past few years I cannot comment. But for graduate level work in many professional disciplines--the result is every bit as effective as if the person had sat in a physical classroom.

Times are changing, and university budgets are getting tighter. These sort of lectures that do not require a hands-on physical presence are becoming more and more attractive to the bean counters in the provost's office...

7. WA4OTD

WA4OTD Ham Member QRZ Page

I have two in college so i watch a really nice car drive away every year!

Indiana has started couple of on line state schools that people are saying good things about. There are definitely on line schools that offer no real value when you graduate from them.

8. WB2WIK

Patrick, we've had a huge budget crunch here in CA at all State colleges and universities, and we have more of them than anywhere. Classes are impacted and it's taking undergrads five years to graduate, not due to lack of effort or desire, but only due to lack of course availability.

They've been raising fees 10% per year for the past few years, but somehow they're still losing money. At least, that's the public record. I suspect they're never losing money because they have so many alumni who contribute, often huge sums. A Steven Spielberg who pays the system $20 Million at a time just because he can, can help finance a lot of students. And there are hundreds of alumni like that.

No matter how much they say they're losing, there's always room in the budget for completely free rides for top athletes. I doubt anyone on a UCLA or Cal football team paid a dime for 4 years of top notch education. Ditto San Diego State and lots of other state schools.

When we have engineers applying for jobs (and we do, all the time) we look at two things, mostly: What they can offer quickly, and where they went to school. Our CTO graduated Cal Tech, normally ranked as the #2 or #3 engineering school in the country. Not only can he contribute, but customers are very impressed by his presentations -- even if they have no idea what he's saying, since he's above the heads of most of them. I'm pretty sure if he graduated U. Phoenix or Coolidge College (I made that one up) this wouldn't happen.

Sometimes perception is reality.

9. WB2WIK

I watch three cars like that, but they come back since my three kids in college right now all go locally enough they can commute.

My eldest one didn't, and lived on campus or just off campus for four years up at UCSB. Her car was "parked" there 95% of the time, so we also paid for parking. ;-)

Some local "brick & mortar" schools aren't worth anything, either: These are unaccredited schools who specialize in television advertisements to entice kids who barely made it through high school (or in some cases, didn't) to get a "degree" in nail polishing, or whatever.

The scary part to me is that I do see some of these "graduates" working in hospitals, clinics and doctor's offices. Not as doctors, obviously, but as "assistants," often X-ray techs, phlebotemists, etc. My experience with them is terrible. They really don't know what they're doing, so it's all OJT for them and OJT only works if you're smart enough to figure out what to do.

I had to give blood samples for a routine annual physical, and one of these "graduates" tried taking blood from me for ten minutes before she gave up. At that point, I had three holes in my arm and it was starting to hurt.

I got out of the chair, went up the elevator back to my doctor's office, and said, "Can you do this yourself, please? Nobody downstairs seems to know what they're doing."

My internist (regular physician) agreed, and took the sample in one of her examination rooms. Took two seconds, and she got it exactly right. She apologized.

I still had to carry the test tubes back downstairs to the lab.

10. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

When I was hiring employees I would consider their academic credentials as only part of the overall equation in the hiring decision.

Sure, it got them in the door, but I placed much more value and emphasis on actual real world accomplishments, former experience and what they could actually demonstrate they could do for me.

I always felt the educational institution they attended and accomplished degree was merely a starting point anyways and therefore I was careful not to over estimate or consider any such acquired degree as the final conclusion involving any applicants. In short, coming to the interview and wearing their degree like a badge of accomplishment regardless of the issuing institution in question, simply wasn't enough in itself for me to make any hiring decisions.

In terms of which institution they attended exactly wasn't really that important to me in my particular situation, however I suppose it depends on the profession in question anyways. On one hand I feel the institution they attended could be of critical importance in certain other professions such as law degrees, medical, engineering, nursing, or similar higher level of study. Degrees in certain regulated professions are simply not permitted to be offered by pajama colleges as advertised on TV anyways, therefore I am assuming you are not referring to those professions ...am I correct?

As your potential employer, do I really care if you got your degree as advertised on TV from A or B pajama college? ...probably not. Do I care how much academic time you spent in your area of study? probobly yes...

Do I care what the creative name of your educational institution you attended was? ...probobly not.

Do I care if the institution you attended is accredited by the actual US Department of Education (DOE) and not the Accreditation Department of Higher Learning of Antarctica? ...um...Definetly!

Even though the degree may be valid, I am still really more interested in hearing about what you have done in the past and how your individual experience and practical knowledge can benefit my business in the future. If you can't describe how you are going to do that for me exactly, then your degree regardless where it came from, just doesn't matter.

My Best,

Last edited: Apr 28, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.