Question about who to log and who not to.

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KX5ALC, Jan 15, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. KX5ALC

KX5ALC Ham Member QRZ Page

Been sitting here listening to the radio..................listening to ragchews. Was just listening to one that I thought I could "add" to and was just about to break in when this question hit me. If I do break in, which of the operators do I enter into my log.................or do I not log anyone since it wasn't me calling CQ or me answering a CQ call? Just a bit confused.

K8VSY likes this.
  2. W9BRD

W9BRD Ham Member QRZ Page

It's up to you, because there's no longer a logging requirement for US hams.

So that being the case, the question becomes "How much about your on-air doings do you want to record for your later use, fun, and nostalgia?" In a decade or three, or even just a year or two, you might well value having jotted down the call signs of everyone present in the discussion whether you addressed them directly or not. You're the boss!

Pssst: Also consider including notes, even really short cryptic ones, about the gear and antenna you were using; the weather/propagation at the time -- extra credit for including the current geomagnetical/solar indices from https://www.swpc.noaa.gov/-- maybe including who else you heard while tuning around; and so on.

And holy carp -- in checking the space weather just now to get that URL, I now know why RBN reported my signal so poorly in some CQs I called an hour ago:

k_of_6_20220115_0249Z.jpg

Woo hoo! Time to head outside to look for auroras, and then come back inside to tune around for strange and wonderful signal effects and enhancements...

Last edited: Jan 15, 2022
    KX5ALC likes this.
  3. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't log roundtables

K7MH and KX5ALC like this.
  4. KX5ALC

Hi Hi, I just broke into a ragchew "roundtable" and asked them the question. They basically said to join in the group and then ask if you could log one of them and have them log you. Then they proceeded to all give me their callsigns and said they'd all log it. Guess I should have just quit worrying about "bothering" folks and call in. Nice bunch of folks.

WD5GWY, K8XG, KA4DPO and 2 others like this.
  5. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice

KX5ALC likes this.
  6. W9BRD

Ding! :)

KX5ALC likes this.
  7. KX5ALC

As a newbie, I'm concerned about ruffling the feathers of the "more experienced" hams. There is so much tradition in protocol. It's like when you have to tell a person not to touch a beautiful motorcycle in a parking lot. NOT APPRECIATED OR EVEN TOLERATED!!!:D

8. WA4ILH

WA4ILH Subscriber QRZ Page

I log all contacts. Not officially required to log anymore but I do anyway. I can remember when we were required to log while mobile. Now that was a pain. Also, back in the early 70s, repeater control stations were required to log all contacts through the repeater. On our repeater in Norfolk, one of the control stations (K4IIV) had a long play reel to real tape recorder that recorded the audio from the repeater whenever it was keyed.
    Tom WA4ILH

KX5ALC likes this.
  9. W9BRD

You ain't kiddin.' Several years back I'd taken my daughter up to an ice-hockey showcase in Vermont, and on heading down to breakfast after our first overnight we saw that the inn parking lot had filled up with gorgeous current and classic Corvettes, lovingly maintained and restored. I went out to admire them, and one of owners saw me from the restaurant and came out and stood silently by their Vette, just in case I started getting touchy-feely.

KX5ALC likes this.
  10. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

That was a nice and fortunate experience.

Some ops hate when anyone breaks in. You found a good bunch.

WD5GWY and KX5ALC like this.