Question about VHF versus hf

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KB1PDK, Nov 3, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. WA4ILH

WA4ILH Subscriber QRZ Page

I was a member of Navy MARS for many years back when they actually provided a service to the fleet. We had state nets every day. When I first moved to Missouri back in 1990, I put up an 80 meter dipole at about 60 feet. I could not hear many of the stations in my own state in the evening but copied stations in the Pennsylvania net loud and clear. I lowered the dipole to about 12 feet, shortened up the ends to make it resonant and was able to copy all of the stations in Missouri. (NVIS) Same for 40 meters during the afternoon.
    Tom WA4ILH

2. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

Conditions in 1990 were about as good as most folks around here remember, unless you are an old timer who was around in the late 1950s! And the peak 10 years earlier was almost as good.

3. N3HGB

N3HGB Ham Member QRZ Page

Is your entire reason for this radio to talk to one person that is 60 miles from you? I assume the person on the other end will be willing to buy the same kind of radio. Is there a reason to use CW vs. other modes?

4. KB1PDK

KB1PDK Ham Member QRZ Page

please excuse the Spurs short responses I only have a Android to respond with and have a great deal of difficulty typing onple