Question about "Two Factor Authentication" ?

Discussion in 'Community Help Center' started by WB3CII, Oct 17, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. WB3CII

WB3CII Ham Member QRZ Page

Once I do this will I have to use the two factor process every time I want to look at QRZ ? Or is it a one time deal ?

Thanks,
    Bill

2. K1SZO

K1SZO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You can tell it to remember you for 30 days.

So, every 30 days you will need to re-complete the 2FA task.

3. MI0NWA

MI0NWA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Sooner if your IP address changes, i.e router reboot etc. Unless you are on a static IP.

4. WB3CII

WB3CII Ham Member QRZ Page

How about if I use two different computers and the phone app, different for each one ? Seems like a lot of trouble. Only really need it to post a few things on the swap meet.

5. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

I only had to authenticate once, then confirm each 30 days.

6. K1SZO

K1SZO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, it has to be done for each browser you use. If you use two different browsers on the same PC, you will have to do it for each browser.

As for the different IP that MI0NWA mentioned. Unless I'm mistaken, I don't believe that is the case at all because I believe it's managed by cookies, hence why if you use Firefox and Chrome, you have to do it with each.

7. W5LZ

W5LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

...I'll pass, thank you.

K3RLD likes this.
  8. MI0NWA

MI0NWA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm not talking about the PC IP address but rather the Router IP address assigned by you ISP. If this changes you have to authenticate again.

If you have 2 PC’s on the same network and log in to QRZ on one of the PC’s and authenticate it the second PC will not need authenticated as it’s using the same server IP. The sign in has nothing to do with cookies, the only time the browser is involved is when you add a .p12 certificate in your browser for LoTW identification during Two-Factor setup.

9. K8HIT

K8HIT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Added security is worth it, especially if you have a debit card associated with your account.

In my opinion QRZ leads the way with safe cyber practices.

W7UUU likes this.
  10. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

You are entirely able to use the site without using 2FA. Not a problem at all

To sell stuff in the Swap Meet however you would need not only 2FA but also ID Verification. But that's ONLY if you want to sell stuff.

You're totally at ease using the site in all other capacities, without EITHER security feature in place. It's not a problem

Dave
    W7UUU