Question about tone(s) to use on linked UHF net

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by N4XMZ, Mar 9, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: OK1UUad-1
  1. N4XMZ

N4XMZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Totally new to me but I am about to join a net (that has no contacts listed on it's page). The net is Tennessee state wide. It links to various UHF repeaters. In order to connect correctly (I am told) I need to set the tone for the net to translate - not the repeater. The repeater is not dedicated to this particular net, thus the tone - so that others wishing to use the repeater while the next is in progress, do not interfere and the net also can not be heard by others without this tone to make access.

This being my first encounter with this operation and not having anyone from that net to provide the exact steps, I am posting to know if any of you know what that tone would be? I thought it would be a CTCSS. I do have the tone itself, which is halfway there. I just need to confirm so I can program accordingly. Many thanks

2. KM3F

KM3F Ham Member QRZ Page

An Internet query shows it's not a Ham radio net.
    A private data network built by ATT.
    At the moment all sites are down without power.
    Access is by subscription is a guess. Likely would get terminal access info at that time.
    This network is to be Virtual Private operation or VPN.
    It does not look like your PL tones will work.
    Do the search and read the website info.
    Good luck.

3. KM3F

KM3F Ham Member QRZ Page

If your talking about a voice over Internet DMR net, the talk group shows 3147 and simulcast on 7 repeaters.
    All the repeater are on 70cm.
    rptrs;
    K1LNX,
    K4MFD,
    N4FNB,
    WB4GBI,
    KB4REC,
    WB4JGI,
    K4OZE.
    Look them up and see what further info you can find.
    Looks like they are all involved. Some with same PL tone.
    Find the rpter closes to you.
    Good luck.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2020