Question about LoTW and Field Day

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Software' started by KB1AWM, Jun 24, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. KB1AWM

KB1AWM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

My son and I are going to run a class B station using my callsign for field day. I would like those who make QSOs with us to get LoTW confirmed. However, his contacts should not effect my award totals. I was hoping LoTW would look at the operator field, but it doesn't appear to. Is there any way to solve this issue? Just to summarize, is there any way to upload logs made for a given station under another operator such that it doesn't effect the station licensee's was/dxcc scores?

Thanks,
    Greg KB1AWM

2. KG7WGX

KG7WGX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Create a LoTW station location for him, under his call sign certificate, for the location he will be using for Field Day. He should not be using your call sign, whether he is licensed or not.

When you operate, you use your call sign and certificate.

LoTW will happily handle this.

3. KB1AWM

No, of course he will be using my call sign. We are running a B-class station where multiple operators operate under 1 callsign.

4. KG7WGX

Well, the instructions for LoTW say that you need a separate callsign certificate for each callsign you use.
    And a station location for each location where you operate.

So, your son does this, using his copy of TQSL to get the second certificate and set up the second location.

You are good using your own certificate and station location, of course.

Keep separate logs when you are each operating.

That way, his operations have no effect on your LoTW uploads.

What he gets is a new location for his temporary operating at your station. And, while the temporary location QSO's accrue to his LoTW account for DXCC (same DXCC entity), they would not add to his home QTH station location QSO's for WAS.

You are each reporting a valid station location for your QSO partner's use.

Someone who actually does this may be able to supply a better explanation, but I think the problem is going to be how to keep separate logs as well as how he should manage his callsign certificates.

5. KG7WGX

I actually read the Field Day instructions completely this morning and I found this -

6.2. A transmitter/receiver/transceiver used to contact one or more Field Day stations may not subsequently be used under any other callsign to participate in Field Day. Family stations are exempt provided the subsequent callsign used is issued to and used by a different family member.

All this does is remove the requirement for your son to get a second callsign certificate, but that is still one less hoop.

After creating a station location for your QTH in his TQSL, he just needs to keep a separate log from yours, use his own callsign and upload his own log to LoTW using that Field Day station location.

His Field Day log should be separate from his normal log as well, so the correct location can be used.

6. KB1AWM

You totally don't understand the situation I'm asking about. If you have a two operator station, is there a procedure for uploading to LoTW? Not 2 stations. 1 station. 1 callsign. Field day 2B station operating with 1 callsign.

7. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

In that case I don't think LoTW cares who the actual operator is. Why would they?
    That said, operator #2 can't claim the contacts as his own for awards and things. Never could anyway.
    One station, one log.

8. KB1AWM

Right, but I'm not trying to claim anything. I don't need the QSLs, I have plenty and my son doesn't expect any because he was operating with my call. What I'm trying to do is provide confirmations to those who worked us via lotw.

9. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Simply upload your log adif as normal. Or enter contacts onesy-twosy if you prefer.

10. KB1AWM

If I upload the contacts as normal, I will get credit for my son's contacts (my callsign was used for the station callsign). It looks like Lotw doesn't offer the feature that I want, so I guess I'll go on their mailing list and suggest it.