Question about license requirements after leaving the Army.

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio License Test Schedules' started by KD0TFL, Sep 16, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-gcopper
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. AC0GT

AC0GT Ham Member QRZ Page

That's a lot there and I'm getting tired of this back and forth going point by point. I do see that your image of 11 meters is going back some years. I see a lot of examples that I doubt happened in the last 30 years.

You say that there is a problem of unlicensed people encroaching on Amateur radio frequencies. How would removing 11 meters as a license-by-rule band help this? If you want to argue that the FCC made a mistake 60 or so years ago by creating Part 95 then I believe you need a better resolution than abolishing it. That's just asking for more people to buy Amateur radio equipment without a license. With my idea of licensed Amateurs going in to 11 meters as ambassadors, good examples, and using this as evidence to the FCC that Amateur radio could use this band then perhaps we can get a secondary user basis again.

Mistake or not Part 95 exists now. If you want to claim that 11 meters and licensed Amateurs are neighbors then maybe we should be the best neighbors we can be. Bitching and moaning about 11 meters is not productive. Going out to meet them and be neighborly just might be productive. At a minimum it's Amateurs getting a new band for "free".

GNUUSER likes this.
  2. GNUUSER

GNUUSER QRZ Member

q codes were intended to shorten phrases and they were a boon to those using cw,
    But is it really needed for voice communication?
    sure using q-codes can shorten an actual transmission,
    you all know this!
    the 10 codes in cb and police radios were used for the same purpose.
    but lately iv'e been listening to people on different bands rag-chewing and literally hogging a band for hours at a time.
    how is that any different than cb operators doing the same thing?
    yet i hear so much slamming going on over it, You know its up to us to educate others because the fcc wont enforce laws unless you are overpowering commercial interests whether its cb or amateur radio
    using ham lingo on cb (Heaven forbid) these same people using vulgar language on cb.
    try using 10 codes on a ham radio and see the treatment you get?

im not trying to ruffle feathers here but face it people times are changing! If we do not want to educate people then we have no right to complain about it.f
    when a question is asked, put forth the effort to civilly answer it without snarky comments

3. K3UJ

K3UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Full international Q-code

This is a more complete Q-code set that includes almost all codes from QRA to QUZ but the majority of them are for maritime/rescue use

https://www.giangrandi.org/electronics/radio/qcode.shtml

KO4ESA likes this.
  4. N2EY

N2EY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The points are important points.

So 11 meters is a well-behaved service now? Nobody runs power in excess of the legal limit there? All FCC rules and regs are followed?

And there has been. Guess where they came from?

I'm saying that we should NOT be further blurring the distinction between Part 95 and Part 97.

FCC made a mistake in 1958. They'll NEVER admit it, because that's not how such an agency works. And abolishing it won't make the problems go away.

And again I say NO. BAD IDEA.

And how many actually use it? Why not let it simply fade away, as it has been doing for decades?

The way to be a good neighbor is to stay in our bands and operate per Part 97.

5. KO4ESA

KO4ESA Ham Member QRZ Page

We have CB radios in our truck and in the 1957 Bel Air. CB has a lot of chatter.
    Ham radio(kenwood thd74)
    I keep on 145.370 to listen to linked repeater. Lunch net and some excellent chatter on antennas and other radio equipment is nice to listen and learn from.
    KO4ESA
    WRJR757