Question about license requirements after leaving the Army.

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio License Test Schedules' started by KD0TFL, Sep 16, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: l-BCInc
ad: l-gcopper
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: QSOToday-1
  1. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

From the ARRL...
    COMMUNICATING WITH OTHER HAMS
    CONTACT BASICS: GOOD AMATEUR PRACTICES

(emphasis added)
    While Q-signals were developed for use by Morse operators, their use is common on phone, as well. You will often hear, “QRZed?” as someone asks “Who is calling me?” or “I’m getting a little QRM” from an operator receiving some interference or “Let’s QSY to 146.55” as two operators change from a repeater frequency to a nearby simplex communications frequency.

http://www.arrl.org/files/file/Get on the Air/Comm w Other Hams-Q Signals.pdf

W9JEF likes this.
  2. AC0GT

AC0GT Ham Member QRZ Page

You said that already, and repeating it isn't helping in making your argument. If you want to convince anyone of the utility of Q-codes then you need to demonstrate it somehow. What may also help is show how other services use Q-codes in their communications. Again I will recognize the one or two exceptions that may exist in aviation, there's always an exception to any rule.

Why does my opinion on this bother you so? Are the use of Q-codes so fragile that my claim of them being silly could make their use fall like a house of cards?

3. KC5NYO

KC5NYO Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow. 8 pages to say ‘no such thing’. What’s the deal with the constant bickering around here?!

4. W5WN

W5WN QRZ Lifetime Member #379 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

How about those that like Q codes use them and if not, don't? Actually, some people are attracted to the hobby partly because they they can learn the "shop talk" and feel more a part of it.

AC0GT and W9JEF like this.
  5. W9JEF

W9JEF Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

There's no need to convince anyone of the utility of Q-codes. The fact that they're still in frequent use on ham radio voice modes speaks for itself.
    Instead of being bothering, your eschewal of Q-codes in voice modes is rather amusing.

What's silly is the claim that Q-codes should be limited to Morse modes, rather that a part of the ubiquitous shoptalk that's been heard on the ham radio phone bands for the better part of a century.

Jim
    EARTH: LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT

6. AC0GT

It does speak for itself, but it appears it says something different to you than me.

7. N2EY

N2EY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It applies very well. That's why you reject it.

I'm not "dumping". I'm making a comparison and explaining why so many hams don't like cb.

Where have I done that?

11 meter CB was created by FCC in 1958. It was a mistake - a BIG mistake.

FCC thought that people would follow the rules for 11 meters. They never imagined that millions of Americans would simply ignore those rules and that FCC would lose control of 11 meters - and the surrounding spectrum.

Really? Let's look at the history.

- 11 meters is right between 10 meters and 12 meters. Unlicensed folks from 11 meters have shown up on both bands from way back.

- the reason Novices and later Technicians got 10 meter privileges in the 1970s was because the low end of the band was being overrun by 11 meter folks who discovered how to easily modify their equipment, or how to get and use amateur equipment without a license.

For example:

- There were some designs of 11 meter gear where, if you swapped the tx and rx crystals, the set would work on 10 meters.
    - Pre-1958 amateur gear, particularly AM stuff, often included 11 meters and could be made to work without modification - on both 10 and 11 meters.
    - More-modern gear, such as the Henry Radio Tempo One, could be made to work on 11 meters by adding one component - a heterodyne crystal.

This invasion is also why Novices and Technicians to this day can't use AM for voice communications on 10 meters, only SSB.

I have been a ham so long I remember when you could buy HF linear amplifiers that covered 10 meters without modification. Then in the 1970s FCC enacted rules banning the sale of such amplifiers in an attempt to stop 11 meter folks from having "leenyars". In reality, the rules had almost no effect on illegal 11 meter amplifiers, but they meant manufacturers had to come up with innovative but easily disabled ways of preventing amplifiers from working on a certain frequency range. The Heathkit SB-200 became the SB-201, the SB-220 became the SB-221, etc., because of 11 meter folks, not amateurs.

I don't know how often it happens.

But I've seen many, many, MANY cases where people confused them. Such as:

- Telling people I'm an Amateur Radio Operator, only to have them ask "what's your handle?"

- Amateur Radio operators with clean signals being blamed for TVI, RFI, etc., caused by 11 meter folks running superpower. I keep a formal log to this day so I can provide evidence that I wasn't on the air when the interference occurred - or, if I was, exactly what I was doing.

- Amateur Radio operators trying to get permission to put up antennas and being told no because of bad experiences with 11 meter folks in the past.

- Seeing news items where 11 meter operators got credit for public service done by radio amateurs - and other items where problems caused by 11 meter operators were blamed on amateurs.

- Invasion of amateur bands by unlicensed people who say "I don't need a license. I've been on 11 meters without a license, why should 2 meters be any different?"

- Folks who got amateur licenses after being on 11 meters who insist on breaking Part 97 rules, behave in ways making them unwelcome on amateur frequencies, spread urban myths and bad practices all over the place....

The point is that there's no need to start out somewhere else.

K3XR likes this.
  8. AC0GT

You must be new here, welcome to the Internet! It's where people all over the world come to bicker about everything big and small.
    Next up, Ford v. Chevy... GO!

9. KC5NYO

KC5NYO Ham Member QRZ Page

9mm vs .45?!

AC0GT likes this.
  10. N2EY

N2EY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

And yet, when W1AW transmits voice bulletins, the initial callup is "QST" on CW, but "Calling All Radio Amateurs" on 'phone.

----

There are times when Q signals on 'phone make sense because they are a short way of conveying a complex idea. For example, "QSY" is three syllables, while "change frequency" is four syllables and takes longer to say. "QRM" is much more compact than "interference from other stations". And of course "CQ" is MUCH shorter than "Calling any station so we can have a contact".

OTOH, some folks seem to use Q codes and other CW-originated phrases as a way of.....something. I've heard folks turn over a 'phone transmission by saying "Kay". And of course the horrific "QSL?"....