Question about license requirements after leaving the Army.

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio License Test Schedules' started by KD0TFL, Sep 16, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. KD0TFL

KD0TFL Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you everyone. I just needed to be able to show him the same answer from many sources lol. I knew the answer but he just wouldn't believe me :).

2. N9AED

N9AED Ham Member QRZ Page

There are some states that have provisions for military emergency medical technicians to obtain civilian licensing and others allow similar credit for truck driving training, but as an active duty military member, I can assure you that there are no such programs for ham radio.

KD0TFL likes this.
  3. KU4X

KU4X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

As others have stated, no amateur radio license for military experience.
    Someone at the Transition Center was jerking his chain if he was told that.

And thank him for his service!

Regards,
    -Bruce

KD0TFL and K3XR like this.
  4. N2EY

N2EY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

As an historical note:

There was a time, long before the VEC system, when someone who held, or had held within the past 5 years, a Commercial Radiotelegraph Operator license, or was or had been an active-duty government Radio Operator, could be a volunteer examiner for the code tests for a by-mail amateur exam (Novice, Technician, Conditional/Class C), without holding an amateur license. But that did NOT qualify them to operate or get an amateur license.

That provision went away at least 35 years ago.

5. AG6QR

AG6QR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Interesting. I know that, in today's system with multiple choice tests, a VE doesn't need to use any radio knowledge during an exam session. Working at an exam session is all about knowing exam procedures and rules, having integrity, and paying attention to make sure everyone else at the session is behaving with integrity.

But when there were code tests, administering them would call for knowing the code. That would especially be true if the code test required the examiner to grade the candidate's sending. I guess they were wanting to get good radiotelegraph operators wherever they could find them.

N2EY likes this.
  6. W1TRY

W1TRY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have a friend who was a Navy SEAL that had to take a basic Open Water SCUBA course before we could dive (actually, it only prevented him from renting tanks.)
    Diving isn't federally regulated but there was still no provision through any of the major certifying associations for military service granting him a basic certification.
    Of course, this was during the time of dinosaurs, things may be different now... o_O
    My point is that historically, proof of military service wasn't valid for similar qualifications in civilian life, but I believe it is slowly changing.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
  7. KJ7TCW

KJ7TCW Ham Member QRZ Page

Some states - VA for one - waive the training requirement for a concealed carry permit for someone with an honorable discharge. That makes sense - the rules of firearm safety and use of lethal force that we learn in the military are pretty much the same in the civilian world. But as has been stated above (and I can also attest): amateur radio and what I learned in the Army share very little beyond the phonetic alphabet.

Sounds like someone jas been talking to the "barracks lawyer". :-D

8. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

When I took my Novice test it was administered by another ham radio operator both the written and code test. It only required one person. I'm not familiar with the VEC procedure when it comes to the number of volunteer examiners present.

9. N2EY

N2EY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

All true.

The pre-VEC by-mail test procedures and requirements changed over time, too. But one thing was a constant: The FCC graded the written exam - the volunteer examiner wasn't even supposed to look at it. By contrast, the telegraphy exam format was dictated by FCC but the actual testing was up to the volunteer examiner, and his/her written statement was the defining factor.

The exact rule in the old regulations was that the volunteer examiner for code had to:

- currently hold a General, Advanced or Extra amateur radio license (Conditional, Technician and Novice did not qualify)

or

- currently or within the past 5 years hold an FCC-issued Commercial Radiotelegraph license

or

- currently or within the past 5 years been employed in the operation of a government radio station using manual radiotelegraphy (which includes both military and nonmilitary stations)

10. SAMUELRICHARDS

SAMUELRICHARDS QRZ Member

As a volunteer examiner I am not aware of any provisions that allow any member of the military to be granted a technician or any other level of amateur radio license by just showing up with his papers at an exam session.