ad: KE5EXXad-1

Question about license requirements after leaving the Army.

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio License Test Schedules' started by KD0TFL, Sep 16, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KD0TFL

KD0TFL Ham Member QRZ Page

My nephew was recently discharged from the Army. He was an MP at Fort Polk. Can he show his discharge paperwork to get his tech license? He seems to think he can, but I think he would still have to take the tech test because as an MP he would have been using the license granted to the Army. Am I thinking correctly?

Thank you

PS. Sorry if this was the wrong place to post my question.

2. KL7KN

KL7KN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Wow

MP equal RTO?

I have never heard of military service gaining pass for a FCC test.

Im retired .mil BTW.

KD0TFL, K0UO and W7UUU like this.
  3. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I've never heard this nor seen it in print.

Doesn't mean it's not true - but I've been a ham for 46+ years and that has never been mentioned to me

Dave
    W7UUU

KD0TFL likes this.
  4. KD0TFL

That's what I thought also. He will have to study and take the tech. But he is 23 and thinks he knows everything lol. Love him though :).

Rhonda
    KD0TFL

W0XA, KL7KN and W7UUU like this.
  5. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

And kudos to him for serving his country. My hat's off.

Dave
    W7UUU

KD0TFL and K0UO like this.
  6. KD0TFL

I will let him know you said that. We are very proud of him.

Rhonda
    KD0TFL

7. KE0CAA

KE0CAA Ham Member QRZ Page

As a volunteer examiner I am not aware of any provisions that allow any member of the military to be granted a technician or any other level of amateur radio license by just showing up with his papers at an exam session.

N2EY, KD0TFL and AG6QR like this.
  8. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Part 97-F has all the regs. There is no military equivalency waiver. Never has been. (Navigator/Communicator USNR-ret).

If there was a waiver I would have used it decades ago.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/47/part-97/subpart-F

ยง 97.501 Qualifying for an amateur operator license.
    Each applicant must pass an examination for a new amateur operator license grant and for each change in operator class. Each applicant for the class of operator license grant specified below must pass, or otherwise receive examination credit for, the following examination elements:

(a) Amateur Extra Class operator: Elements 2, 3, and 4;

(b) General Class operator: Elements 2 and 3;

(c) Technician Class operator: Element 2.

[65 FR 6550, Feb. 10, 2000, as amended at 72 FR 3082, Jan. 24, 2007]

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
    KD0TFL likes this.
  9. AG6QR

AG6QR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

As a VE who has studied this area of the rules, I'm confident that there's no way around passing the written test, as admirable as his service is.

Operating procedures, frequencies available, power limits, ID requirements, and other things are different between military radio and Amateur radio. He needs to learn the civilian rules and take the test.

But please, encourage him to continue using those NATO phonetics!

KD0TFL likes this.
  10. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

No such FCC regulation. There was a time, have not checked lately, when some states permitted active duty military personnel with an otherwise valid driver's license to continue to operate if it were expired.

KD0TFL likes this.