ad: elecraft

Question about how to start with CW

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KB1PDK, Oct 29, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. N1BCG

N1BCG Ham Member QRZ Page

60 miles is doable on VHF and UHF as long as you and the station you’re talking with have a reasonably clear shot between you.

Are you or your brother at a high elevation?

N3AB likes this.
  2. K7TRF

K7TRF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

From the standpoint of communicating with your brother a 6 meter or even a 2 meter all mode rig that supports CW would likely work especially if you both get decent antennas up and in the clear.

But from the standpoint of learning CW and getting experience working a lot of stations there's a lot more CW activity on the HF bands and depending on where you live and local VHF CW activity you could spend a lot of time tuning around the VHF CW band segments without hearing anyone to work.

3. KB1PDK

KB1PDK Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually we're on the opposite sides of two pretty big hills with several hills in between us or quite a few over the 60 miles I've had trouble pushing people on the other side of the Hill that I live on with the 10 meter rig that i had. If the idea is just to communicate with my brother maybe VHF would be okaybut I don't know if I could reach him on the opposite sides of the hills and vice versa and I guess there's no point in limiting myself to just one target in the long run it probably wouldn't be prudent so I think I'm better off sticking with the 40 m rig. Are vhf rigs more expensive or less it doesn't it matter how much do you have to concern yourself with repeaters?

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
  4. KB1PDK

KB1PDK Ham Member QRZ Page

nevermind that's okay you've all actually my questions very well thank you very much I'll make my conclusion based on the information you gave me I've already decided as I said to get a 40 m 100 w transceiver, probably one of the manufacturers that you recommended

5. K1LKP

K1LKP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

6. KC3MIO

KC3MIO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I may be missing something, but 60 miles is a tough contact no matter what equipment you have. There is a graph in the ARRL Antenna Book (Figure 4.1) showing ground wave range as a function of frequency and it decreases as frequency decreases. Even on 80 M the range is less than 60 miles. I remember trying a QSO with a friend of mine on 80M when we were separated by 45 miles and the signals were weak - we both were running 100W on SSB. One time an op in TN, about 500 miles away could hear both of us pretty well and we could hear him, which is pretty typical. He offered to act as a relay! Also, unless your code speed is fairly high, you are going to find conversations with your brother kind of slow.

7. W9RAC

W9RAC Subscriber QRZ Page

I would not jack around with repeaters and the like if you want to visit with the brother. Stick with HF, its not a problem at 60 miles with a cheap dipole. 60/40 meters is almost always clear and you can talk without time restrictions or the like. 73 RAC

W5TTW likes this.
  8. VK4HAT

VK4HAT Ham Member QRZ Page

The 25w tranceiever, what bands was it on and what was the antenna situation? I dont use much more power than you had and I do not have problems making contacts. If all you want to do is chat to your brother 60 miles away, then 80m on HF is probably what you want, or 2m and a high gain yagi on both ends would probably do the trick also.

9. N3HGB

N3HGB Ham Member QRZ Page

60 miles is tough with a hill in the middle of it. I think NVIS is the way to go for you. NVIS works on 160, 80, and sometimes 40 meters with IIRC an antenna quite low to the ground. You are reflecting off the ionosphere right over your head.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Near_vertical_incidence_skywave

W5TTW and WA9UAA like this.
  10. WA9UAA

WA9UAA Ham Member QRZ Page

As HGB said, 160 M 80M and 40M. I heard some guys on 75M Sunday at around 11:00 AM and I don't think they were local to my QTH. Didn't have time for a QSO though.