Question about "Group D" "Group C" and others

Discussion in 'Becoming an Amateur Radio Operator/Upgrading Privi' started by KC5JDB, May 21, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. KC5JDB

KC5JDB Ham Member QRZ Page

I got my Tech at 1994. On May 10th I took both General and Extra. I passed both. Today i receive the Fcc link for my new classification, Amateur Extra.
    My question is about the Group. When I was a Tech, I was in Group D. Now I am an Extra, shouldn't my group be "A", according to this link http://www.w5yi.org/page.php?id=281

On Fcc's website, I am still group D.
    Am I missing something here?
    Thank you

2. N1EN

N1EN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I believe the group indicates which set of call signs yours is drawn from. Group D = generally, 2×3 calls except for some special calls. If you had a 1×2, 2×1, or 2×2 begining with "A" you'd be in Group A.

Now, if you're asking why you didn't get an extra call with your upgrade, the answer is that you didn't check the box on the Form 605 to request a new sequential call. If that's something you're trying to change, there is a way to do that in the FCC's ULS system. I forget the details, but it should boil down to your checking a box, and receiving the next Extra call in the sequence overnight. (The most recent Class A call issued in the 5th call area, as of this writing, was AG5FA. FYI.)

3. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Everything looks perfectly correct to me.

You have all the same codes as do I.

4. KU4X

KU4X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Both answers above have nailed it. The call sign group shown in an individual's ULS entry is the group that the current active call belongs to, NOT the group that licensee is eligible to draw from.

Where it gets a little confusing is dealing with call districts outside of the continental U.S. As an example, my initial call (as a Technician) was WL7AH. At first glance, it looks like a Group B 2 x 2, but since I was in Alaska, that call is in the Alaska D group.

It is much better to refer to call sign groups based on actual location than to make blanket statements such as someone is, or is not eligible for a 1 x 2, or 2 x 2, etc. type call. As with most things, there are exceptions.

Congratulations on your upgrade!

Regards,
    -Bruce
    KA1NOS

5. KC5JDB

KC5JDB Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you guys for the explanation.
    Now Something else, I was on eham.net a few weeks ago. There was an article and I commented on it. I also put my callsign. For some odd reason, a lot of people on that site said it is wrong to mention your callsign.
    This is what one person said "Never publish your call sign on a public forum like this. Common sense 101." when I first read it, it doesn't make sense to me. When you talk to someone on the air, don't you use your callsign? Now I am here,there sure are a lot of callsigns.

6. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Sounds to me like they are trying to hide something.

I thought everyone used their callsign on eham though. It has been a few years since I've been there, I dunno.

7. N6QIC

N6QIC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hello Yee,
    I think they need to rethink there theory. Your FCC call information is public information. It can of course be found in the FCC ULS, hear at QRZ when the user is logged in, and on any search engine by searching on your name or call sign.

If I am signing my name on any ham radio site, forum etc it will always include my call sign, my call sign is me. I would not worry about what he said, and I don't think that I would go back and post there ether.