ad: Sussex-1

Question about Estate Sales ads

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by K9DTC, Apr 29, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K9DTC

K9DTC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

What is so special about estate items that "Estate" needs to be mentioned? Is it worth more because the items are from an estate? It seems to me that every time I see estate the prices are inflated? I recently received some radios that came from the death of a friend of mine and did not feel the need to make note of that when I sold them. Maybe someone understands something about this I don't see?

2. KE4OH

KE4OH Ham Member QRZ Page

When I see "Estate", I assume the seller doesn't know if it works or not. Sometimes the prices is too high for me. Other times, I get a bargain. That's about it.

3. K9DTC

I agree that the lister is in some cases removing himself from the responsibility of the items by not testing them but that should be all the more reason for a price that reflects that instead of the usual inflated.

KA0HCP likes this.
  4. KE4OH

KE4OH Ham Member QRZ Page

If the listed price is "inflated", the unit will not sell. If, indeed, it sells at the "inflated" price, then the price was not inflated at all. The price is the price. If someone is willing enough (foolish enough?) to pay, then game over for us bargain hunters.

5. K9DTC

That is true in any ad, there are many overpriced ads on the internet sources that do not use the word estate. My question still is does the word "estate" mean it is worth more because it is from an estate because in more case than not these ads are overpriced. I am looking for the hidden message that is implied by using the word.

6. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

It means that a Ghost is included.

Some people like that and some don't.

G1YRV, KD2BBC and K8RFX like this.
  7. K9DTC

so the ghost makes it worth more? I don't believe that is the answer.

8. KD0CAC

KD0CAC Ham Member QRZ Page

Let's see , one person makes a statement , another reads it , what is meant buy stating estate sale .
    You've got 2 people , it could mean one thing , but it could also mean at least 2 or more things , all of the above and a lot more .
    Depends on your imagination , you may be able to think of many things , multiply that by some number of readers here , not all have as good / bad of an imagination ;)
    Short answer - it could mean anything

9. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I think it does if it was a friend of mine that went SK.

I would rather buy from them in person while they are alive tho.

10. K9DTC

I have been to many hamfests where the SK has donated his stuff to the club. In almost all cases the items were priced to sell. They used the word estate, the ham who donated, to honor the ham and to point out there was no personal gain involved. Its interesting that when there is no personal gain involved with using the word estate things are priced reasonable. That's even knowing full well the proceeds are going to a good cause.

11. AK9S

AK9S Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

When I see the phrase "estate sale", I will tend to stay "far" away. Not really a wise marketing statement for any seller. As mentioned, it gives the perception the seller does not know the "true" condition of the item being sold (i.e. other than cosmetically and of course, "it lights up when plugged into the wall.") If a seller does not want to give assurances, then mentioning "estate sale" fits the bill. However, will the seller accept returns? Who pays for your return shipping cost when the item fails to function as expected? Why would a Ham seller not know the "true" condition of an item (a legitimate question which may carry many reasons behind it)? Many things to consider, especially when the seller cannot or does not want to thoroughly test anything listed from the "estate sale". To me, such items for sale hold "minimal" appeal, as I have to assume they may not work and the pricing posted usually assumes they do.

Last edited: May 3, 2016
  12. W8GP

W8GP Ham Member QRZ Page

First off, to me "estate" sale means nothing, good or bad. It just doesn't matter. But its obvious by reading the replies that there is quite a difference in perception of the phrase. A little off topic, but this example illustrates how peoples perception can affect a sale. I had 2 Heathkit '102s that were given to me so I decided to have some fun. I listed them on flea-bay, one I described accurately as to it's operating condition, the other I listed as "untested estate sale find". Which do you think sold for more?:rolleyes:

13. KG7CSS

KG7CSS Ham Member QRZ Page

I used to do estate sales to sell on Ebay. When I think of an estate sale it always selling the estate of a deceased person or rare living estate sale.
    There are two types one ran by professional companies that are mostly over priced and ran by scam artist. The other type is are by relatives. The later one can find deals because the family do not know the real price or they know but are motivated sellers in order to get out of the house.

14. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I think it means that it needs an alignment, that the knobs are stuck, and that it might need power supply considers.

15. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

When I see "estate sale" mentioned in the ad, I assume (correctly or incorrectly) that the item was bought for pennies and being sold for dollars. It also screams to me that the item is not in good working order. Same goes for the words "untested", it "lit up when plugged in" , it "worked great when it was placed in the barn 20 years ago", and that the item most likely isn't in working order.
    I may only have been in ham radio for 7 years but why is it so common for a ham to sell something without testing it? Any item I have sold I have cleaned it up, blew out the circuit board if needed, plugged it in for a few days, and most likely hooked it up to a oscilloscope to see what is going on. If it's a radio, it takes a couple of minutes to hook it to an antenna and see if I can make a contact. I may even call a friend to listen for my call and tell me how it sounds so I know if the tx/rx is good.
    I've bought a lot of used gear, but I won't pay for something that I don't know if it's working or not. If I can't hear it operate or get a guarantee of it's functioning, it better be cheap...real cheap.