ad: portazero-1

Question about Estate Sales ads

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by K9DTC, Apr 29, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. K9DTC

K9DTC Ham Member QRZ Page

What is so special about estate items that "Estate" needs to be mentioned? Is it worth more because the items are from an estate? It seems to me that every time I see estate the prices are inflated? I recently received some radios that came from the death of a friend of mine and did not feel the need to make note of that when I sold them. Maybe someone understands something about this I don't see?

2. KE4OH

KE4OH Ham Member QRZ Page

When I see "Estate", I assume the seller doesn't know if it works or not. Sometimes the prices is too high for me. Other times, I get a bargain. That's about it.

3. K9DTC

I agree that the lister is in some cases removing himself from the responsibility of the items by not testing them but that should be all the more reason for a price that reflects that instead of the usual inflated.

KA0HCP likes this.
  4. KE4OH

KE4OH Ham Member QRZ Page

If the listed price is "inflated", the unit will not sell. If, indeed, it sells at the "inflated" price, then the price was not inflated at all. The price is the price. If someone is willing enough (foolish enough?) to pay, then game over for us bargain hunters.

5. K9DTC

That is true in any ad, there are many overpriced ads on the internet sources that do not use the word estate. My question still is does the word "estate" mean it is worth more because it is from an estate because in more case than not these ads are overpriced. I am looking for the hidden message that is implied by using the word.

6. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

It means that a Ghost is included.

Some people like that and some don't.

G1YRV, KD2BBC and K8RFX like this.
  7. K9DTC

so the ghost makes it worth more? I don't believe that is the answer.

8. KD0CAC

KD0CAC Ham Member QRZ Page

Let's see , one person makes a statement , another reads it , what is meant buy stating estate sale .
    You've got 2 people , it could mean one thing , but it could also mean at least 2 or more things , all of the above and a lot more .
    Depends on your imagination , you may be able to think of many things , multiply that by some number of readers here , not all have as good / bad of an imagination ;)
    Short answer - it could mean anything

9. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I think it does if it was a friend of mine that went SK.

I would rather buy from them in person while they are alive tho.

10. K9DTC

I have been to many hamfests where the SK has donated his stuff to the club. In almost all cases the items were priced to sell. They used the word estate, the ham who donated, to honor the ham and to point out there was no personal gain involved. Its interesting that when there is no personal gain involved with using the word estate things are priced reasonable. That's even knowing full well the proceeds are going to a good cause.