Question about actual frequency

Discussion in 'Microphones, Speakers & Audio Processing' started by N4EGA, Apr 8, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. N4EGA

N4EGA Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey guys and gals.

I have a question about our voice frequency and how it relates to power output on AM and SSB and to a lesser extent, toned modes such as rtty.

So the back story is, I am doing radio installs as a side business. Fairly easy work. Kind of happened this way because people don't want a CB shop installing an expensive amateur radio.

Well, I have a customer next week who was asking about increased power output when you whistle into the mic and get the swing (yeah, truck stop lingo). So I explained that it is not something that is taken into effect with FM, but only AM and SSB.

I was actually going to demonstrate this to him on install day with some of my test equipment, but I cannot whistle to save my life. So I downloaded a tone generator app on my phone to do this. I want to play around with it as well in relation to driving a signal from no power/ dead key, all the way up to full potential power on peaks, such as talking. But I'm not entirely sure what I should set my tones at.

I would typically set my mic response from 200khz to 3000 khz and that would cover it fairly well. But I was looking for second opinions. I know that voice peaks are just that: peaks during modulation. So it's not average, and we have to take into account our average voice range. Again, I just want to show a low modulation, medium, and then peak.

Does any of this make sense? And thanks for the help.

2. KB7WG

KB7WG Ham Member QRZ Page

If you can't whistle, say the word "five" over and over. It will give you a Christmas Tree pattern and demonstrate your power swing. I am referring to the SSB envelope.

N4EGA likes this.
  3. KM3F

KM3F Ham Member QRZ Page

You need to try and convince him that whistling is not the proper way to check power.
    Yes it causes output but what value is it?
    At least put the radio in CW or FM and key the mike.
    It shows the power the radio is set to right on the front panel metering.
    Use it.

N4EGA likes this.
  4. K4VLF

K4VLF Ham Member QRZ Page

What I do, to test the full output of radio and amplifier, is play a pulsed tone into the radio (using a stored file, no mic). Maybe 2000 hertz or so, with a duty cycle of on for 1 sec, off for 2 seconds (something like that). I figured a pulse type signal would not drag down the power supply of the heathkit amp. And use a dummy load.

5. KB7WG

KB7WG Ham Member QRZ Page

6. N4EGA

Thanks! After 44 years, have given up on learning to pucker and blow.

7. N4EGA

I intend to show him it's just a voice peaks that this happens. And also demo that FM does not work this way. He's a newer ham with lots of CB lore taught to him. So I have some work cut out for me.

8. N4EGA

That's pretty much what I intend to do. Just a quick way of showing what he is asking and why it does not work with FM.

9. N4EGA

10. WD0GOF

WD0GOF Ham Member QRZ Page

The word five gets all the midrange audio frequencies and average inflection of your voice. If you repeat the words THREE - FOUR - THREE - FOUR you will cover the total frequency range of your natural voice and all inflection levels.

KB7WG likes this.