[question] 2m & 6m separation distance

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by W2LMM, Aug 6, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: FBNews-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WE4E

WE4E Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Visit your local fence company and get a 20' stick of chain link top rail pipe. 1-5/8" think wall. Not sure about anywhere else, but I buy it here for about $23. Makes great mast pipe and far better at supporting loads than EMT.

2. N0YPD

N0YPD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Your proposed antenna set up looks ok to me. I would go with heavier pipe though. As long as your running good coax,and not really high power you should have no trouble.

3. AJ5J

AJ5J Ham Member QRZ Page

Home Depot and Lowes stock it, too.

4. W2LMM

W2LMM Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks. I have LMR400flex there now. The sat antennas would likely use the surplus heliax I have on hand, or I may go with 400uF again as its worked well in the past. Power wouldn't be required for the satellite config, although I may add preamps, simply for terrestrial use should I decide to abandon the 7 element 2m yagi. When I originally had the sat station running, I was living near the coast, with a relatively flat and unobstructed view in most directions. I found I didn't need the preamps at all; in fact I could get into and hear FO29 very well when it was indicated a few degrees below the horizon to the south and sw.

You know for the amount of time I spend in Lowes, I never noticed fence pipe. Granted, I'm usually in the electrical or tool sections. I bet it is in the less favored garden section.

That's solid extruded galvanized steel?

5. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I've never seen fencing "top rail" that's seamless. Usually it's swedged at one end so you can fit them together and you can't extrude something like that. I believe it's all rolled, but it is pretty strong stuff and stronger than EMT for this application.

W2LMM likes this.