Quest for the perfect printed circuit board...

Discussion in 'Homebrew and Kit Projects' started by W4INF, Oct 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. W4INF

W4INF Ham Member QRZ Page

I went back and saw this, so I wanted to update that last post.

Since I have changed out the drum unit the results I am getting now is JUST STUNNING! A combination of the laminator, new drum and lots of experimenting and Im more than satisfied with the results.

Cheers,
    Andrew

2. W4INF

2 part question for you gurus-

I am using FR4.

1) What is FR4, FR2/3 and I think it is CAR or CAT?

2) Where do YOU get your copper clad board? Always looking for a cheap price!

Andrew

3. K9FV

K9FV Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm with you on this Andrew - always looking for a good source of "cheap" copper clad board - both double sided and single sided.

I just happened to find some cheap at a hamfest a couple yrs ago and bought several sheets - from 4X6 inches to 8X10 inches. Still using from that, but it does go pretty fast.

I'll be looking for ideas on "cheap" sources also.

73 de Ken H.

4. W4INF

I paid over $45 for a batch off a guy off ebay, but have yet to materialize.

Sad thing is, I think he got kilt by a bus.

This is the second transaction with the same seller, the first one went smooth as Exlax, this time Ive not even heard from him.

Ill give it at least 30 daze before I file with PayPal.

The first batch of boards I got were really nice, what a shame.

Andrew

5. W4INF

Update: I just finished 2 new boards, 2 different designs and everything is working 100% FB! Perfect transfers, perfect etching, now if the designer was just perfect! HA HA! Ill have some pix of that soon... been busy.

Cheers,
    Andrew

6. w0bev

w0bev Ham Member QRZ Page

Tnx for your efforts

Andrew, just read all 13+ pages so far about your efforts for making pcb. Learned a lot tonight, and it has been years since I made pcb's myself. I will want to try the technique's you have perfected. I have done photo etch, sharpie and actual tape methods (using pads and line tape to make one off boards). I have a hankering to build a simple two-tube audio amp (12AX7) this fall. I might just try to build the circuit board for the design using the same techniques here. Also, I will look at using your version of etchant as well. Might have a bottle of acid in the garage. Looking forward to updates!:D

Brian
    W0BEV

7. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the update Andrew, this has been interesting to follow.

8. KD0FML

KD0FML Ham Member QRZ Page

9. W4INF

As of right now, I am getting 99% success rate with my methods and equipment. As soon as I get over this nasty sinus infection that has since settled into my chest, Ill get the energy to do a full writeup. Video too.

I am very pleased with how everything is working out. Now, if I could just learn more electronics so my PCBs would be laid out _correctly_, Id be making some real headway!!!

Andrew

10. N0NS

N0NS Ham Member QRZ Page

Very nice looking board indeed.

Just curious, how much do you think it cost you to make that board?

Or put another way, if you were to send that board out to be made, I would guess it would cost you $35.00 or so. It looks to me like you would have come in under the $35 number for the same if not better quality.

Joe N0NS

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.