Quality Mobile Speaker

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by NB8F, Sep 16, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. NB8F

NB8F QRZ Lifetime Member #367 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Looking to have a speaker for the FT-891 in the mobile. Running through the cars auxillary did not impress me. Would love to hear some ideas for small speakers that can go in a car/truck.

TU de NB8F

2. AA9GP

AA9GP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Passive or amplified? Love this topic BTW...
    Current Favs:
    1) West Mountain Clear Speech CLRspkr - best for HF, weak, QRM filtering
    2) DX Engineering DXE-281 Communications Speakers DXE-281 (passive, no amp, economical, good for mobile uhf/vhf FM)
    3) AL Priority® HiFi Speaker - small, good dynamic range for size, passive

https://www.alpriorityusa.com/AL-Priority-External-Speaker-Speaker-Only-No-HiFi-Controller_p_67.html
    4) Yaesu MLS-100 Mobile Speakers MLS-100 - passive, good quality, $$
    5) ICOM Mobile Speakers SP-35 - passive, good quality, $$
    6) ** portable ops / fixed use with variety of shack sourced speakers $$$ =>>
    West Mountain Radio CLRdsp ClearSpeech® Noise Reduction Processors CLR-DSP

There are many good amplified and filtered options out there... left them out except for #1 because I seem to migrate to using this everyday for HF currently. In the car I use DX engineering in stereo pair along with ALP in stereo pair mounted on angle iron seat headrest mount left and right of driver head. This way I can separate sound source spatially from scanners, dual-band L/R sides of IC-5100, and commute countermeasures. IC-5100 gets the DX engineering while ALP handles the scanners and ALP system audibles.

de AA9GP

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
    K0UO likes this.
  3. NB8F

NB8F QRZ Lifetime Member #367 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Great question (passive or amplified). I am not sure...I just put the FT-891 in the rig, right now I am just using a passive (cheap little speaker). I am guessing for the noise cancelling ones I need to run separate power to them?

4. AA9GP

AA9GP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes and many like me always use isolated secondary power networks (dual batteries) and 12v distribution so adding an Anderson PP distribution block and crimped on PP connector quickly gives power source. Otherwise, one could tap an accessory line / fuse to go off/on with vehicle. Otherwise dedicated line - if I'm going this way I make it 10gauge and able to power other stuff like cameras, radios, etc. independent of auto on/off.

Choice of amplification varies on speaker placement, cabin noise, etc. If not enough audio then amplified may be preferred. Filtered +/- depending on monitoring style, source, ....

de AA9GP

5. NG1H

NG1H XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Keep in mind that a good speaker for music =/= a good comms speaker. In fact they they have almost opposite design criteria. That's why running through your car audio system will usually sound worse than the cheapo speaker in the rig.

AI7PM likes this.
  6. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Check out a Truck Stop.

Truck drivers run some nice speakers on their CB radio.

You do not need a expensive speaker just to hear Voice over road noise.

Noise cancelling works for a Mic, Not needed for a speaker, The volume control works for that.

7. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Used Motorola speakers are widely available, and relatively inexpensive. They are indestructable and designed specifically for voice communications. I have half a dozen I use in my car and shack with many types of radios. They come in about five common styles from the last 40 years. As long as they haven't been waterlogged they never seem to wear out.

Advice: Always use the largest speaker you can with any radio. It makes a tremendous difference in listening quality and comfort!

They are often available at hamfests in piles, which have been removed from fleet service.

$18 on fleabay
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/LAST-ONES-...542378?hash=item23d098fc6a:g:apEAAOSw5CZcw2GL

$9 each
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/USED-OEM-M...419564&hash=item2d15487d77:g:oQUAAOSwJM5fSrCq

N3EG, KS2G, KB3UWC and 3 others like this.
  8. W1GHD

W1GHD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

My Motorola speaker is attached to the rear of the center console, basically sitting on the floor, pointing straight up. It’s invisible sitting on the black carpet, and it sounds great.

It has yet to be kicked by a rear seat passenger, as you couldn’t fit three people in my back seat.

9. N7WR

N7WR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Over 50 years of mobile operation I have found Motorola speakers to be the best. They were designed for voice ranges in public safety vehicles. They can be found used or new

W7EDC and KF5FEI like this.
  10. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep. EF Johnson and Uniden also made some knock-offs that are similar and work well.