QTH Question

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KD2WJP, Sep 17, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-Geochron
  1. KD2WJP

KD2WJP Ham Member QRZ Page

Sometimes contacts ask me for my QTH. Do I give them my Latitude and Longitude or my state and town?

Thanks
    KD2WJP

VK4HAT likes this.
  2. N7WR

N7WR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

State and town is a lot simpler and is what folks who ask are probably interested in

K0UO, W5ESE, KP4SX and 1 other person like this.
  3. KS2G

KS2G Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Usually, just state and town.
    If they want more --perhaps your county, or grid square-- they'll ask for it.
    In my 40+ years as a ham, no one has ever asked me for my long. and lat. ;)

PU2OZT, KP4SX and KD2WJP like this.
  4. WH2HAO

WH2HAO QRZ Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

State and town works, include country if it is a DX.

KD2WJP likes this.
  5. K0MB

K0MB Ham Member QRZ Page

I take it you have never heard an hf qso?

N3AB, N2EY, PU2OZT and 1 other person like this.
  6. W4HWD

W4HWD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Normally just your state. You can name your town too but not always needed unless the other side asks for it, has been there, etc...you know, make the QSO more personal.

Include your country? No. Your callsign tells that, besides, if you're working another stateside ham that would be, you know...

7. W3TKB

W3TKB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I usually reply that my QTH is "Northern Pennsylvania" and leave it at that. People who have lived here before or are familiar with the area might inquire about the city or county, out of curiosity. Those that are mainly wanting the information for a propagation report now have a general enough location to track their signals or see how far they're getting out. I've never had any DX contact ask me where Pennsylvania was; I'm fairly certain they know their geography better than WE do.

8. W7HV

W7HV Ham Member QRZ Page

CW only here. My first exchange in casual HF QSOs is always, signal report, name, city and state. It goes like: "FB OM (or name) - UR 59 9- OP LOU - QTH LITTLETON CO- HW?" Sometimes I'll add "NR DENVER" to the QTH to give the op a better idea. VHF it's grid square.

In contest exchanges, it's always whatever the specified contest exchange requires.

Of course it's pretty common nowadays for the other op to enter my call into his logging system and immediate pull up my QRZ page. But, during a QSO, QTH is the actual location of your current station, which is not necessarily where you live or your personal location. If operating portable or mobile, your QTH is where you are. If operating remotely, your QTH is where your station is. If you're operating your station in your home shack, your QTH corresponds to where you live.

KA4DPO likes this.
  9. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Good answer.

I'll add if you're in a small town no one has heard of, or in a town with a long and complicated name it usually pays to just use "near" and name the nearest bigger city someone might be familiar with.

On VHF-UHF it pays to be more precise; but on HF...not really. When I was a new ham in the 60s and lived 20 miles from NYC, I'd always say or send, "Near NYC" or "near New York City" and never mention my town name because most would not know it and who cares?:p

K0UO likes this.
  10. WA1GXC

WA1GXC Ham Member QRZ Page

That's a very mean and unnecessary response. Instead of trying to be a smart-ass, how about helping-out someone who is obviously new and trying to
    learn--and asking the appropriate questions to be more knowledgeable.

Ironically for you , he's shown more insight than you have. If you refer to the official International Telecommunications Union [ITU] list approved for
    use all over the world in all radio services, including Amateur Service, the Q-Signal "QTH" refers to "position" rendered as Latitude....Longitude....
    "or other indication".
    He very well likely looked it up on an authoritative listing, unlike many hams who have no clue as to the meaning of Q-Signals they constantly mis-use.

The Q-Signal lists you see on ARRL operating aids and on the WorldWide InterTube are often reasonable and handy summaries of the Q-Signals as
    commonly used, but do not conform to the proper definitions.

So you can now thank that fellow for making you smarter.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2021
    WA8FOZ, VE6CLG, N5HXR and 9 others like this.