QST

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W4ZD, Aug 15, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. W4ZD

W4ZD Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

About the only reason I was ever an ARRL member was for the QST subscription. Other than that, the Handbook, and W1AW services I never had much use for it.

The last year or two (or more) it seems to me QST has gone the way of many other printed magazines: slimmer, fewer interesting articles, and a higher density of advertising. I think I'm gonna let my ARRL membership expire when it comes up for renewal.

Of course, I'm old fashioned and old school, for sure. Once upon a time I would devour them, cover to cover, especially articles by guys like Lew McCoy and Doug DeMaw. Them days are gone. Sadly, nothing remains the same for very long.

What are your thoughts about QST?

KV5J and US7IGN like this.
  2. N5CM

N5CM Ham Member QRZ Page

I got back into the hobby in Feb. 2018 and re-started my membership in ARRL and receive the print edition of QST. I wasn't happy with the decrease in pages. Despite the words of the doomsday prophets, I subscribed to CQ as well. I enjoy both magazines. I have some catching up to do.

ARRL doesn't always go in my preferred direction, but neither do some of the folks I voted into office. Unless they (ARRL & politicians) go completely non-linear, I'll stick with them for a while. I figure the League does more good than harm in the balance.

KB9OFM likes this.
  3. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

It's been that way for a lot longer than two years. I used to save all my issues, and my archive goes back to the 1920s, but sometime in the late 90s I stopped saving them. No longer worth the space they take up. Now, if I do see an interesting article I want to keep, I cut out the pages, staple them together and file them in a folder.

Very little worthwhile technical/construction content any more. That has mostly moved to QEX, a separate publication that members have to take out an additional paid subscription to receive. I'm not interested in articles on how to build a LED "On The Air" sign for the shack, nor to build a novelty one-transistor QRP CW transmitter in a cat-food tin. The human-interest drivel that fills the pages doesn't interest me either.

I still maintain my membership, but certainly not to receive QST.

4. W4ZD

W4ZD Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Yeah, I should have said "years" instead of "year or two." It's late and I'm tired. :)

You've noted the same diddly-squat content that I have: On-The-Air LED signs, cat-food tin rigs, and the like. Never tried QEX (maybe an issue or two here and there). Thinking about it, QST was great in the 50s through perhaps 1975 or 1980, and seemed to loose its luster in the years since.

Heck, I can remember AR construction articles in mags like Popular Electronics and Electronics Illustrated from when I was a kid. Them days are gone.

5. N8OHU

N8OHU Ham Member QRZ Page

And I find the "new Amateur friendly " content to be fascinating, even though I've been in the hobby for nearly three decades.

6. N1ZZZ

N1ZZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

The solution to a boring magazine is to write articles. They don't have a big paid writing staff, and rely on a few columnists and those of us in the field who have a story to tell or a project to share. If you do something interesting in this hobby, write about it and submit it. They can polish the language up and pay you a few bucks. You might even get a new piece of wall art out of the deal. 73 N1ZZZ

N1VAU, WN1MB, AG5DB and 1 other person like this.
  7. K1OIK

K1OIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

They print on paper that was poorly recycled.
    Instead of QST they ought to call it MFJ with all the ads MFJ has.
    Ever notice at events where the ARRL is they get plenty of pictures of the staff?
    How come when ever the ARRL is mentioned in QST it is ARRL not the ARRL, I never see Yankess, Girl Scouts, Red Cross, Vatican without the, the?
    I have 5 years of it, I will give it away if you pay shipping.

8. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

They went to thinner paper. Advertising percentage is the same as it has been for decades (I checked).

How many QST projects did you build and use?

How many QST articles did you write?

It's as good as one makes it. They cannot publish articles that no one writes. Homebrewing is different than it was....how many hams do you know who have homebrew stations? How much of YOUR station is homebrew?

The Amateur Radio of decades ago was very limited in many ways. Now there are far more bands, modes, and technologies.....but someone has to write the articles.

I keep all of them. What wasn't interesting when I got the mag often turns out to be useful later on.

The TunaTin transmitter was a 1970s thing.

See above about articles and projects.

Why do you call it "drivel"?

Looking back at older issues, they are full of human interest stuff.

Good!

NY7Z, AG5DB and WU8Y like this.
  9. W9BRD

W9BRD Ham Member QRZ Page

In my second ARRL HQ stint (1985-1996) I worked in the Technical Department as a Technical Editor. It was well-known to us even then that relatively few members built the projects described in QST; one barometer in that timespan was how many circuit boards Fred at FAR Circuits sold for a given article, augmented by A&A Engineering reports about kit sales. A number as high as "several hundred" was a big deal -- out of a membership of 180,000ish.

The technical-project content of QST had long since become mostly a passive "health of the hobby" indicator: QST readers would thumb through the mag, see a range of projects and articles over a range of topics that more or less mirrored the image they had of ham radio, QST, and themselves, and consider QST and the hobby healthy (or not) based on the degree to which QST reflected them.

Sort of like now, except that by now the baby-boomer bubble has produced a large demographic class for which that health check is mainly about the degree to which ARRL and QST annoy.

Cue Abe Simpson: "I used to be with It, but they changed what It was. Now what I'm with isn't It, and what's It seems weird and scary to me. It'll happen to you!"

Old man yells at cloudishly yours,

Dave
    amateur radio W9BRD

KF5KWO, N5AL, WD4IGX and 4 others like this.
  10. KS2G

KS2G Subscriber QRZ Page

THIS yet AGAIN??!!

It's been beaten-to-death in numerous previous threads.

:(

K7MH, K1OIK, W3WN and 3 others like this.