ad: Schulman-1

QST-- Computer Magazine?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N4INU, Dec 19, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. n7ah

n7ah Ham Member QRZ Page

Why can't the best of both worlds be accomplished here? Simply break off another magazine for the computer stuff. I think QEX originated that way,but I am not sure. Then while they are at it, they can come up with a separate magazine just for contesters. Just keep the magazine like it says on the cover "Devoted entirely to Amateur Radio". Curt, N7AH

2. W4KTN

W4KTN Ham Member QRZ Page

I have not read the article yet, but If QST wants to show me a cheap way to build a computer for my HAM applications, Then I'm all for it.
    Computers assist HAM radio by logging contacts,DX,contesting,APRS, PSK31, packet, and other RTTY modes.
    Many HAMs don't have the money to purchase two computers, or upgrade to run HAM and normal 'work', due to fixed incomes or other financial reasons. So I say again, if QST shows us how to build a computer cheaply, then I'm for.
    Also, don't forget, computers do use radio frequencies while running, and your transmitter may interfere with yours or your neighbors' computers. Having a basic knowledge of how they work, can greatly assist you in preventing RF problems with nearby computers.

3. KA1EZE

KA1EZE Ham Member QRZ Page

you're wrong!

Most computer topics covered in qst and other ham venues are in a time warp. Hams still use lots of very old (in computer years!) equipment, and you're not going to get a mag just for retro computer equipment.

And building your own is a good topic, with consideration for RFI and other ham things that nobody else would cover at all.

That said, I certainly don't want things that are truly computer only topics cluttering qst, there are plenty of sources for that.

Rick

4. N2RJ

N2RJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Plugging in boards won't teach you how anything works. I know many people who build dozens of computers and they don't even know what a transistor is.

5. KA9Q

KA9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

Seems to me that the computer is one of the most powerful communication tools ever invented, so why shouldn't QST cover them along with the latest developments in RF hardware?

I agree that ham magazines should emphasize the communication (especially radio communication) aspects of computers rather than duplicating the coverage of mainstream computer magazines, but I can't disagree more strongly with your contention that computers have no place in QST or at hamfests.

6. KV0P

KV0P Ham Member QRZ Page

I enjoyed the article in QST. I don't like computers well enough to read computer magazines. I liked his relateing putting a computer together to putting a HF rig together and mentioning the plus items in several different brands and how it would be neat to have that option in a hf rig. I like talking on a radio alot better than typeing, so what am I doing here typeing ?? I guess what I was going to say is when Packet came in I wondered if it was so great why did they have to communicate over fm voice to tell how great it was. I think computers are a great addition to ham radio but I like ham radio best and that is just my opinion.
    73's Mike KVØP
    ps maybe I like voice better because my spelling isn't too good. Hi

7. KC1IH

KC1IH Ham Member QRZ Page

I also find that the people who write for QST are very anti-Mac. I'm a life member of the ARRL, I shouldn't have articles in their magazine which trivialize or worse my choice of computer platform.

(Note: Before the flames start, I'm not commenting on or dis-respecting anyone elses's choice of platform, I'm just asking that my choice of platform be respecteed.)

8. WA5RR

WA5RR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hello, Paul.

Computers have become a useful tool in ham radio to many of us. Antenna programs, loggers, beam-heading and DXCC databases, and the "new" digital modes such as PSK-31, MFSK16, and others are some of the awesome ideas created and developed by the very hams that use them. The current experimentation in spread spectrum voice communications would be nearly impossible without the "affordable" platform of a modern PC. I am a youngster in the ham radio community, but I wonder what was said by some of the old timers when the first transistors came into the market. During my past 18 years as a ham, I have seen my generation's contribution to the hobby and I'm excited to see what comes in the future. A tinkerer to the end am I!

73, Merry Christmas.
    Korey--KA5VCQ/4--Fort Bragg, NC.

9. KA1EZE

KA1EZE Ham Member QRZ Page

Hams are, uh, frugal? Macs would be more ham popular if they were more generic, open and inexpensive, that's all.

10. W9JCM

W9JCM Ham Member

I found that article the best in the current issue. The web sites he gave were very informative. I am in to process of building a new system so the info was great. I have one computer running all my logging and soundcard programs. And by faster system running my I-Link gateway on 2 meters. Computers are the future people weather you like it or not. And they are becomming a bigger and bigger part of amateur radio. I love my rig control with my 1000MP its the only way to go. And for the MAC users there are plenty of programs for MAC Linux too. But sorry to say Mac guys you are the minority of computer users. Macs are the best for any kind of Art, pics, grapic arts.

11. N2VLS

N2VLS Ham Member QRZ Page

Computer articles in QST? I suggest someone give updates on available software, Shareware or otherwise, for Amateur Radio use. We NEED a central location to review new and old versions of what we now use. Where is it, is it Freeware, Shareware or commercial? This list should be in the area of the computer articles, but not necessarily a part of them. Publish a complete list each issue. Updated as needed.

Any takers?

12. N8WJQ

N8WJQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree with Paul, to a point. I have begun to realize that QST is fast becoming "PC Unlimited" instead of Amateur radio oriented. I can understand the melding of digital technology with radio communications to keep up with the times, but, I would much prefer more articles reminiscent of past QST formats of the 70's/80's.
    One must examine the backgrounds of those who are in charge of ARRL/QST. I would wager that a majority have extensive digital technology backgrounds, ergo, the digital technology slant to QST. I haven't decided yet whether to let my membership lapse, maybe after the first of the year. Just my view
    73, Tony
    N8WJQ

13. WA8UET

WA8UET XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I enjoyed the article. I have built my computers from scratch for several years and use them with my ham hobby. There was a wealth of information in the article. Those on a budget who cannot afford a ready made computer were pointed in a direction they could save some bucks and still build one up themselves. Computers are used extensively in our hobby. It seemed appropiate to have the article in QST. 73 Joe WA8UET

14. K1MKF

K1MKF Ham Member QRZ Page

While I welcome any store that explains how to interface a computer to HAM radio I agree that this month's DIY computer article was not appropriate for QST. What's next a BIY generator article? Also, I think the constant "homebrew" articles which are really an advertisement for someone's kit are also inappropriate. Sometime ago the powers that be at QST justified those articles by saying the source code parts lists and schematics are public knowledge but for most of us the only way you are going to program a chip is to buy it that way. Put those articles where they belong - Product Reviews.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.